VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Pavle Jovanovic, Serbian-American bobsledder - competed in the 2006 Olympics

Author:
He was 43
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, May 09, 02:01:12pm

Pavle Jovanovic, a talented brakeman who came back from a doping suspension to compete for the U.S. bobsled team at the Olympic Winter Games Torino 2006, has died by suicide, according to social media reports. He was 43.

“My personal legend — the athlete that set the standard for focus, dedication, meticulousness and drive — tragically took his own life at the age of 43,” former teammate Steve Mesler shared on his Instagram Saturday.

A native of Toms River, New Jersey, Jovanovic took up bobsled at age 20 and proved to be a natural brakeman. At 25 he was preparing to make his Olympic debut at the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City when he tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and was subsequently disqualified.

Following a two-year ban, he came make to make the 2006 Olympic team in both the two- and four-man bobsled events, where he served as a push athlete for driver Todd Hays in both. The sleds finished seventh in both races. In addition to his Olympic success, Jovanovic earned 19 medals on the world cup circuit since the 2004-05 season, the first season in which online records were kept.

“Pav was the best teammate anyone ever had,” Mesler, who went on to win an Olympic gold medal as a push athlete in 2010 and is now on the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee board, continued. “He knew your success would mean his success. He taught me that. He taught me to care about my teammates’ sleep, nutrition, therapy & work ethic in the gym and behind closed doors just as much as you cared about your own. He taught me about the need for being mentally healthy — not for life, but for athletic success.”

Three-time Olympic medalist bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor posted on her Instagram story: "I was only on the team with Pavle for a short time but while I was, it was never a dull moment. He was one of the first bobsledders who showed me how to be elite. RIP Pavle"

After competing on the world cup circuit for the U.S. through 2008, Jovanovic raced five times for Serbia in 2011. According to his LinkedIn page, he had been working as a welder and fabricator in Toms River.

“We lost another good one in sliding sport this past week,” Greg Sand, a former bobsled athlete and assistant coach for the U.S. skeleton team, shared on his Instagram. “Pavle was what you might imagine a Rottweiler in human form to be; tough as nails, built like a brick (expletive) house, and a work ethic forged by his family’s steel fabrication business. If you were going into the battle of competition, Pav was one of those athletes you wanted on your side.”

If you or someone you know is experiencing an urgent mental health issue, we encourage you to text HOME to 741741, or call (800) 273-8255 to speak to a mental health professional. In the process of helping yourself, you may be inspiring courage in others to seek help as well.

Chrös McDougall has covered the Olympic and Paralympic movements for TeamUSA.org since 2009 on behalf of Red Line Editorial, Inc. He is based in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2020/May/09/Pavle-Jovanovic-2006-Olympic-Bobsledder-Dies-By-Suicide

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.