VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Actress Sonia Darrin 1924-2020

Author:
Dies at 96
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 05:24:53am

So long to the 1940s smoky-eyed femme fatale Sonia Darrin, who has died on Manhattan’s Upper East Side on July 19, 2020 – where she made her home for over half a century – aged 96. Despite her popularity and feline good looks, her career didn’t quite the dizzy heights expected aside from her unforgettable, yet unbilled role as Agnes Lozelle opposite Humphrey Bogart’s private eye Philip Marlowe in "The Big Sleep" (1946). She would go on to appear in just four more films before quitting the screen forever in 1950.

Born to Russian Jewish immigrant parents in 1924, she fell in love with films as a child; often sneaking into the movie theatre adjacent to her father’s clothing business in Galveston, Texas where she grew up.

During her teenage years, she moved with her family to Pasadena, California, where she took up dancing lessons under the tutelage of Adolph Baum. Alexis Smith was a fellow classmate. She made her dancing debut in "The Corsican Brothers" (1941) followed by on "My Gal Sal" (1942) with Rita Hayworth. She played a chorine in "The Hard Way" (1943) starring Joan Leslie and Ida Lupino, danced as a Russian peasant in "The North Star" (1943), played a villager in the horror classic "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man" (1943) and was an office clerk in "Lady in the Dark" (1944) filmed at Paramount. Then came her role in "The Big Sleep" as the sultry bookstore clerk and paramour of minor Los Angeles gangster Joe Brody (played by Louis Jean Heydt).

“Bogart was very kind, polite and helpful to me,’’ she remembered in 2016. “I was just a 22-year-old acting novice but managed to hold my own”. When her acting career finished, Sonia returned to New York and became a successful model working for Eileen Ford’s renowned agency.

She married William ‘Bill’ Reese, the successful theatre set designer during the late 1950s, and together had four children. Their youngest son is the former child star Mason Reese. Sonia’s brother Dorian ‘Doc’ Paskowitz gave up his career as a physician to become a famous California surfer and health guru

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Link to source? (NT).Wednesday, July 29, 05:42:57am
I remember her best as 'Agnes', the rare book shop clerk who messes with Bogart, trying to get info in "The Big Sleep" (1946)! She screwed over boyfriend Elisha Cooke, who gets it in the end. ...With Dorothy Malone's death a couple years ago, I believe Darrin was the LAST surviving cast member.Wednesday, July 29, 05:50:01am
FUN FACT: Sonia Darrin-Reese is mother of former child actor and ad actor Mason Reese! -Though her death is STILL unconfirmed. ....VIDEOWednesday, July 29, 11:32:40am
Hollywood Reporter followed our lead a few hours ago, and finally published an obit, with son Mason Reese confirming death. ...Link w/recent picWednesday, July 29, 09:13:58pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.