Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456 ]
Subject: Re: Public Spanking

Author:
Marsha
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:04:25 01/29/10 Fri
In reply to: Sharon 's message, "Re: Public Spanking" on 03:54:05 01/29/10 Fri

No, I think times have changed, but I grew up in the late 60's early 70's and what Ray is stating was true. Now I don't think this applied to every family, but what Ray is saying was very common. From what I have heard going back into the 50's and early 60's it was very predominant that boys were treated much differently than girls. Boys were spanked publicly in front of girls with no one saying a word about it. On rare occasions, a girl might be spanked in front of others, but it was predominately boys who were spanked this way. I think mothers knew that embarrassment was part of the punishment, especially for boys in that 8 to 10 year old range. Personally, I never seen or heard of a boy or girl getting a spanking past the age of 10, 11 at the oldest.
I am childless, but my brother's wife believes in spanking and witnessed many when I was over visiting them. So spanking has not gone away, but I think is not practiced by as many families as once was.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking

Author:
Sharon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:20:02 01/30/10 Sat

I agree that I don't think spanking is as widely used as it was, but it is still used, I have friends who spank, my sister and brother both spank as do I. Spankings I think are given less then they used to be. I know we use it as a last resort and have yet to give one this year. I have read about the pro's and con's of spanking and believe it has a place in family discipline when used properly.
When the girls you mentioned were spanked in private did they usually get it bare bottom like the boys? Many of my spankings were bare bottom as were my friends. In our house we could be spanked up until age 12.
Does your brothers wife spank in private?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking

Author:
Marsha
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:23:17 01/30/10 Sat

Hi Sharon, to answer your question, yes and no, and there was no double standard at their home when it comes to spanking when their kids got spanked in front of others. Now both their daughter and son are older, my niece is 14 and my nephew is 10, and I think only the boy gets spankings now and in private. When they were younger, I myself was witness to many of each of their spankings. They were rare, but when one was deserved they got it. I think the tradition carried down from our family as like I said, when we were growing up spankings were given in front of the family and friends of the family at any given time. I really have no opinion on if spankings today should be given in private or not. My brothers and cousins turned out okay and they were spanked in front of others including children their own age. I think the family might of thought the embarrassment added to the discipline.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking

Author:
Sharon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:34:08 01/31/10 Sun

Marsha, I agree that embarrassment probably added to the discipline, although I think it unnecessary unless one was somehow part of the childs wrongdoing.
Did you feel uneasy witnessing the spankings in your brothers house?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking

Author:
Ray
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:58:19 01/31/10 Sun

To Marsha and Sharon,
There was more to it than just added embarassment as a form of discipline. My friend's mom would would put the sprinkler on in the backyard on a hot day so we could run through it. His mother would say we could just put our clothes on the picnic table. When his older sister came out with one of her friends, she was told they would both have to put their suits on first, both girls were upset about this, but were told it would be improper for girls their age to run around naked in front of boys. We were about 8 at the time and the girls about 10. I asked my mom about this why it was OK for us to run through the sprinkler without our clothes, but not for the girls. She said that girls must learn modesty at their age, but boys don't until they are older. She said I should feel lucky that I am a boy because it is more fun. At the public beach boys would wear suits, but on the way back to the car it was not unusual for the mother to take the boy's suit off him at the outdoor shower that was there for rinsing the sand off. My mom did this all the time until I was about 9 or so, and she paid no mind to whether other families were passing by. The attitude seemed that boys didn't need to learn modesty until puberty (that is my interpretation).

>Marsha, I agree that embarrassment probably added to
>the discipline, although I think it unnecessary unless
>one was somehow part of the childs wrongdoing.
>Did you feel uneasy witnessing the spankings in your
>brothers house?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking

Author:
Sharon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:12:36 02/01/10 Mon

Ray, I completely agree with you here. I can remember boys running throught the sprinkler naked and girls had bathing suits or their panties on. Never stopped to think of it that way, but your right. I can remember the bathing suits as well, but the sand was rinsed off and both boys and girls had their underpants put on after though.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking Ray's Comment

Author:
Marsha
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:31:19 02/09/10 Tue

I can remember many times when we went on vacation to the beach. This place we stayed had an outdoor shower also so you could rinse the salt water and/or sand off of you before you went into your room. We would get off the beach at about 4 in the afternoon like most of the others would. There would be many times I seen boys under that shower with their suits off. Boys my age, when I was younger, and most a little younger as I got older, this was when I was between 7 and 12 years old. Some of the girls would stand around and watch them, my mom wouldn't let me, but when I got a little older, mom let me go back to the room on my own, I would wait until a boy that was close to my age got under the shower and then go out and back to the beach, walking very slowly past the shower where the boy was showering naked. Never seen any girls under that shower though without their suits, definetly a true one sided thing back then.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking Ray's Comment

Author:
Robby to Marsha
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:10:47 02/10/10 Wed

Marsha, did the boys do it on their own or were they forced to do it by their parents or caretakers?
I saw this once when I was on holiday in Italy some years ago where about ten boys, ages from about 8 to ten, were ordered by two women who were accampanying them to take off their swimsuit and rinse in the open shower which was off the beach near the parking area. I think they were from some institution or school accampanird by their carers or teachers. There were very few people about but I noticed two girls nearby who were giggling while watching the boys showering.

>I can remember many times when we went on vacation to
>the beach. This place we stayed had an outdoor shower
>also so you could rinse the salt water and/or sand off
>of you before you went into your room. We would get
>off the beach at about 4 in the afternoon like most of
>the others would. There would be many times I seen
>boys under that shower with their suits off. Boys my
>age, when I was younger, and most a little younger as
>I got older, this was when I was between 7 and 12
>years old. Some of the girls would stand around and
>watch them, my mom wouldn't let me, but when I got a
>little older, mom let me go back to the room on my
>own, I would wait until a boy that was close to my age
>got under the shower and then go out and back to the
>beach, walking very slowly past the shower where the
>boy was showering naked. Never seen any girls under
>that shower though without their suits, definetly a
>true one sided thing back then.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking Ray's Comment

Author:
Marsha
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:31:48 02/11/10 Thu

Not really sure how that went. When I usually arrived the boy or boys were already under the shower. I do remember once though, my mom and I were waiting on the line for the shower, there was a mom with a boy who was about 7 or 8. Next to the next person in line was a mom with a girl and a boy, who stepped out of line a bit to watch the other boy take his shower. The boy taking the shower complained a bit about taking his suit off, but his mom had no part of it and took it off of him herself. As he was under the shower you could see the other two kids (and myself, by the way, lol) gawking at him. I was about 10 at the time, the girl looked my age and the other boy about the same age as the boy taking the shower. When it got to the those two kids, the boy as well as the girl were allowed to keep their suits on.

Author:
Ray
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:35:07 02/10/10 Wed

I look back on the trips to the beach and even the brief embarassment with some nostalgia all these years later. More often than not we went to the beach with my Mom's best friend who lived next door and her two daughters who were 1 and 3 years older than me. At about 9 I became reluctant to take my suit off in front of these two girls, but my mom would insist that I do so, so that I did not get sand all over the inside of the car. The idea of the girls maybe heading back to the car and not just standing there and watching never seemed to catch on. My mom used to say things like "they are practically like your sisters." Or "they are starting to babysit, so they will see plenty of naked boys." I am not sure why this was supposed to make me less self concious, but it seemed to make perfect sense to her.

Author:
Sally jj (:-))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:26:09 02/07/11 Mon

Where we live in tropical Australia, it's normal for kids to swim naked at the river etc. Some mothers whip their boys with a leather strap, but not so much the girls - they're normally slapped on the bare legs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Public Spanking

Author:
Harold
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:03:13 01/30/10 Sat

Marsha, you are completely correct about the 1950s etc. In fact I grew up in the 1940s and was publicly spanked several times in front of girls my own age, pants down, all parts visible. And I saw other boys so spanked many times. Girls were seldom spanked and always in private. In grade school it was common for a teacher to take down a boys pants and underpants, put him over her lap in front of the class and spank him until he cried. It never happened to me, but I must have seen other boys get it well over a couple of dozen times in the course of six years. Never once was a girl spanked. It was, as intended, humiliating and terrifying for all the boys in the class because we all knew we were vulnerable. But the girls did seem to enjoy it, especially if the boy being spanked was an enemy of some sort, and of course they knew they were, in a practical sense, exempt.

I was spanked however by my mother, an aunt, an array of baby sitters, a much older cousin and even a next door neighbor who thought I was playing too roughly one summer day with her younger brother. She was no more than 14 or 15 at the time, but just thought it her right and even her duty to do that to me. All of these spankers were women or older girls, and it was always bare bottom if not half (or fully) nude. The most traumatic spanking I got was when I was nine. I was being baby sat by the woman across the street. She had no children but her niece was a good friend of mine, a little girl I had played doctor and nurse with a year or two earlier. For some reason the woman decided she needed to spank me so she took my pants down right in front of my girl friend and scolded me as I standing in front of her wearing only a tee shirt. I got an erection, and when the woman noticed it, she first chortled and then laughed outright, and then -- I am not making this up -- touched my penis with her hand, held it really, and said 'what is this!'. Scared the bejesus out of me, amused her niece, and humiliated me terribly. Then she spanked me, and when she finally let me up checked to see if I still had the erection. By that time I was bawlinig, but I did. So she again laughed and grasped my penis, scolding me all the while.

It was not until I was in my 30s that, during psychotherapy, I related to anyone the full details of that incident. My therapist was a woman, and she said it was one of the clearest cases of child sex abuse she had ever heard of. She also mentioned that it was not the first she had encountered from spanking anecdotes in men my age. Back then, boys were taught that it was somehow manly to be treated like that -- spanked, ridiculed and embarrassed -- and that if we couldn't take it we were sissies. It set up an absolute 'no win' situation for us. It is only when you contrast that sort of behavior with today's mores that you understand the scope of it then, and how much has changed in sixty years.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.