VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]
Subject: Re: Summer Camps

Author:
John (Mad)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:48:05 05/05/20 Tue
In reply to: Andrew 's message, "Re: Summer Camps" on 14:40:54 05/05/20 Tue

So sad to see evil rewarded.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Summer Camps

Author:
John (mad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:31:30 05/05/20 Tue

To be clear, Hazing is bad. There are reasons why it is universally banned on college campuses across the nation. The reason for college campuses is Hazing is almost always associated with joining fraternities.

Bad as it was, hazing was also expected to occur in some form by the pledges to these fraternities. So the question each pledge had to ask themselves beforehand is how far am I willing to go to join this group? This meant there was a critical safety factor built in: the pledge could always refuse and walk away. The danger is the pledge going forward and the task being too dangerous physically that results in permanent harm or death of the pledge.

The point I am making is the pledge was not completely surprised and could walk away. In the case of these innocent transitioning Cub Scouts is they were unaware Hazing was in store for them and had no idea that they had the power to refuse and walk away.

Doing so would have been awkward at best since they were at camp and could not easily leave. If the boy adamantly refused and Mom/Dad had to come to camp to pick the boy up, the scoutmasters ugly little ritual would be revealed. If the parents did not know about the hazing, the incident could have blown up the Scouting in that region of the country.

But the boy was unlikely to refuse. Adults told him to strip, he was far away from home, and I am sure he felt he had no choice. So the adults were successful in their sexual assault of a minor, for which they should have been prosecuted and gone to prison. This consequence certainly would have been the case if men scout masters had surprised Girl Scouts and ordered them stripped and bathed by Boy Scouts.

Of course, I am not blind to the possibility that this scenario is just a fantasy and never occurred. I am addressing it seriously because abuses of boys were so routine that this doesn’t seem so far out of bounds, especially at these summer camps.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.