VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: the case for factchecking

Author:
spelvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:21:16 11/25/21 Thu

I understand what Hot Dog (#15145) is saying.
It is unfair to accuse a person of lying,
just because that person tells a story which differ from ones own experience.

But one could err in the opposite direction by readily believing all of the stories.
I suggest striking the balance by thinking carefully before registering a verdict on each story.
Heres why:

---Skeptical reading can assure a person against being overly credulous.---

When I mention the Voy forum on other sites, I get told,
What? You believe all those stories which are told on the Voy forum?
Well I have a bridge in Brooklyn which Id like to sell to you!

---Gathering details can aid in identifying with the characters of a story.---

Have you noticed how often a story results in requests for details?
(How old were you? How old were the girls? Were there any adults present?)
Thats probably because the readers want to identify with the party looking or the party showing,
and are hoping that more details with make that dream more vivid.

A person writing under the names of Kelsie (#10017) and Kelsey (#10053) provided a really juicy story.
She was, purportedly, a member of an all-girl staff at a Methodist summer camp. The girls plotted to involve male nudity wherever possible.
There was a getting-acquainted event which the boys had to attend naked.
They had a July the Fourth party which the boys had to attend naked.
They were close to the Canadian border, so they had a July the First party which the boys had to attend naked.
You cant go in the water until an hour after you finish eating,
so every day, the boys had to wait outside the pool naked.
The following year, there was a record number of girls enrolling in the camp.

I couldnt go back in time and attend that camp,
so I hoped to do what was second most gratifying,
which was to write about it.
I wanted the name and location of the camp,
so I could get to work on the research.
I was going to talk to counsellors who worked at the camp, boys who attended the camp, girls who attended the camp, and parents who sent their kids to the camp.
But when I asked for the name and location of the camp,
Kelsey/Keslie accused me of checking up on her,
so she left the forum in a huff.

---Skeptical reading could prevent a person from holding unrealistic dreams.---

I first learned of the Bare to Breakers parade from reading this forum.
At first, I had visions of marching my adipose body down the street to the admiration of screaming school girls.
But then I learned of the deep humiliation felt by the brothers and boy cousins of those screaming school girls.
I do not want ever to be an agent of a child feeling that way,
so I cancelled my reservation.

---Critical reading can guide a person regarding which examples to follow and which examples not to follow.---

Suppose one wished to promote a healthy attitude toward nudity in ones own family.
Suppose that that person came to this forum and read of a family where nudity was permitted and where matters of nudity and sexuality were unabashedly discussed.
That person could benefit by following a good example.

Now suppose that a 14-year-old boy came to this forum and read of a 14-year-old boy who invited 12 elementary school girls to his house and hosted a party for those girls completely naked.
Suppose that that boy called up every girl in the neighborhood and invited them to his place, where he would serve all the refreshments completely naked.
That fellow could get into a heap of trouble.

---Research can add to the total storage of knowledge.---

You have probably heard of Paul LeValley.
He is engaged in an effort to locate all the places where boys swam naked in school or in the YMCA.
There is no telling what he might find out.
Did the gymnopedonectonic areas differ from the angiopedonectonic areas in ethnic ratios? in terms of social class? in average level of education?
If he keeps researching, there is no telling what he might learn!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.