VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]


[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05/21/15 8:47:07pm Thu
Author: Steve
Subject: Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink
In reply to: Steve 's message, "Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink" on 05/11/15 10:53:08am Mon

>You've got that interpretation right, as I have just
>learned from campus.
>
>In the coming months I would expect benefactors of
>athletics to come forward to Murray Decock and his
>team and make some generous gifts.
>I am on board myself with the expectation of a solid
>pledge for calendar year 2016.
>
>Go 'gate!

By the way, the webcam on the NAF construction site is now live at gocolgateraiders,com

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]


Replies:

[> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- Steve, 05/31/15 7:53:21am Sun

Reunion weekend is drawing to a close but a couple of milestones have been achieved regarding the new athletic facility:

It is now called The Class of 1965 Arena as a result of the $21+ million pledged by this 50 year reunion class towards this $38+ million project. A ceremony was held Friday on site when the first concrete was poured and the participants were given white hard hats emblazoned with Colgate. Very smart.

The first vertical steel beams will be erected on 20 July according to the schedule and you can mark progress on the gocolgateraiders.com webcam.

The current thinking about Starr is as expected- remove its seating and open the entire surface to a one third/two thirds wood to multipurpose surface for varsity, intramural and club sports, thereby relieving Sanford, which has been in constant demand, up to 20 hours per day, when in session.

Also, the Browning track surrounding the Andy Kerr field is being resurfaced and it looks slick.

When you are back for fall football you will see that some Maroon Council parking has been lost for one year to the construction trailers. But next October, 2016 the net gain will be 50 spaces when the lot is fully resurfaced.

Go 'gate!


[ Edit | View ]


[> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- 60'salum, 05/31/15 11:47:47am Sun

>Reunion weekend is drawing to a close but a couple of
>milestones have been achieved regarding the new
>athletic facility:
>
>It is now called The Class of 1965 Arena as a result
>of the $21+ million pledged by this 50 year reunion
>class towards this $38+ million project. A ceremony
>was held Friday on site when the first concrete was
>poured and the participants were given white hard hats
>emblazoned with Colgate. Very smart.
>
>The first vertical steel beams will be erected on 20
>July according to the schedule and you can mark
>progress on the gocolgateraiders.com webcam.
>
>The current thinking about Starr is as expected-
>remove its seating and open the entire surface to a
>one third/two thirds wood to multipurpose surface for
>varsity, intramural and club sports, thereby relieving
>Sanford, which has been in constant demand, up to 20
>hours per day, when in session.
>
>Also, the Browning track surrounding the Andy Kerr
>field is being resurfaced and it looks slick.
>
>When you are back for fall football you will see that
>some Maroon Council parking has been lost for one year
>to the construction trailers. But next October, 2016
>the net gain will be 50 spaces when the lot is fully
>resurfaced.
>
>Go 'gate!

Attended the Friday ceremony w/hardhat and was pleased to hear the 1965 Arena will be named for our class with it's high level of giving/support to the project. Am a proud signer of the fist beam to be placed inside the building. There is no greater honor that could come to a 50th Reunion class than fully supporting the NAF and bringing it to fruition. Thanks to all who gave generously.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- gate, 05/31/15 5:27:51pm Sun

What made the Class of '65 give so generously and more than most, other than it being their 50th?

The web cam is great but only covers 2/3 of the construction site. Hope they'll continue to update the pics on twitter like they have been:

https://twitter.com/Colgate_Hockey

Looking ahead to the Campus Master Plan, all of the off-campus apartments will be razed in lieu of parking, but who knows. Even the townhouses have been recommended for repurposing to support new residential living initiatives.

Glad to hear the track is being renovated! Others I've seen have the school name written inside the lanes, classy. Still hopeful for a state-of-the-art jumbotron :-)


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- 60'salum, 05/31/15 7:13:19pm Sun

>What made the Class of '65 give so generously and more
>than most, other than it being their 50th?


A highly motivated and super organized reunion planning committee that worked day and night to get everyone involved in the mission + the death of one of our classmates in Vietnam, who was an amazing 'Gate hockey player (and PERSON) + and the deep pockets of some of the major movers and shakers in the class + the backing of the Dir. of Athletics and the whole 'Gate community.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- Raider Archivist, 06/ 4/15 12:41:19pm Thu

Thanks for the update( above ), Steve:

"...The current thinking about Starr is as expected- remove its seating and open the entire surface to a one third/two thirds wood to multipurpose surface for varsity, intramural and club sports, thereby relieving Sanford, which has been in constant demand, up to 20 hours per day, when in session..."

Don't want to sound like a broken record,.... but the on the moving parts of the whole Athletic Facilities complex impacted by the NAF is very significant when viewed in this context, with locker room, conference room, coaches offices being freed up, the new soccer field, the potential promenade linking the NAF and other athletic facilities to enhance game day experiences, the multi-purpsing of the hockey arena floor, etc. This is really resourceful and teetotal tab, when the dust settles, is going to be more than the cost of the NAF alone.It's a great catalyst!

Curious about your thinking, Steve, about the odds and timing of a new Performing Arts Facility. I happen to be both a former jock and a former actor. The case for the need that I've read so far is quite compelling!
Looking forward to your thoughts ?




>>What made the Class of '65 give so generously and more
>>than most, other than it being their 50th?
>
>
>A highly motivated and super organized reunion
>planning committee that worked day and night to get
>everyone involved in the mission + the death of one of
>our classmates in Vietnam, who was an amazing 'Gate
>hockey player (and PERSON) + and the deep pockets of
>some of the major movers and shakers in the class +
>the backing of the Dir. of Athletics and the whole
>'Gate community.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- Maven, 06/ 4/15 4:19:21pm Thu

>Thanks for the update( above ), Steve:
>
>"...The current thinking about Starr is as expected-
>remove its seating and open the entire surface to a
>one third/two thirds wood to multipurpose surface for
>varsity, intramural and club sports, thereby relieving
>Sanford, which has been in constant demand, up to 20
>hours per day, when in setssion..."
>
>Don't want to sound like a broken record,.... but the
>on the moving parts of the whole Athletic Facilities
>complex impacted by the NAF is very significant when
>viewed in this context, with locker room, conference
>room, coaches offices being freed up, the new soccer
>field, the potential promenade linking the NAF and
>other athletic facilities to enhance game day
>experiences, the multi-purpsing of the hockey arena
>floor, etc. This is really resourceful and teetotal
>tab, when the dust settles, is going to be more than
>the cost of the NAF alone.It's a great catalyst!
>
>Curious about your thinking, Steve, about the odds and
>timing of a new Performing Arts Facility. I happen to
>be both a former jock and a former actor. The case for
>the need that I've read so far is quite compelling!
>Looking forward to your thoughts ?
>
>
>
>
>>>What made the Class of '65 give so generously and
>more
>>>than most, other than it being their 50th?
>>
>>
>>A highly motivated and super organized reunion
>>planning committee that worked day and night to get
>>everyone involved in the mission + the death of one of
>>our classmates in Vietnam, who was an amazing 'Gate
>>hockey player (and PERSON) + and the deep pockets of
>>some of the major movers and shakers in the class +
>>the backing of the Dir. of Athletics and the whole
>>'Gate community.

Mo, we don't need more buildings. First we need more students to compete in sports and spread our name farther afield!


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- 60'salum, 06/ 4/15 8:53:16pm Thu


>Curious about your thinking, Steve, about the odds and
>timing of a new Performing Arts Facility. I happen to
>be both a former jock and a former actor. The case for
>the need that I've read so far is quite compelling!
>Looking forward to your thoughts ?

BOT Chair Denis Cronin mentioned in his address last Friday that a Performing Arts Facility is on Colgate's radar. Not imminent but down the road as something Colgate needs to round out the arts on campus. Don't hold your breathe for anything soon, but it will most likely be a new building project in the future. Sorry Maven.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- Maven, 06/ 4/15 9:01:36pm Thu

>
>>Curious about your thinking, Steve, about the odds and
>>timing of a new Performing Arts Facility. I happen to
>>be both a former jock and a former actor. The case for
>>the need that I've read so far is quite compelling!
>>Looking forward to your thoughts ?
>
>BOT Chair Denis Cronin mentioned in his address last
>Friday that a Performing Arts Facility is on Colgate's
>radar. Not imminent but down the road as something
>Colgate needs to round out the arts on campus. Don't
>hold your breathe for anything soon, but it will most
>likely be a new building project in the future. Sorry
>Maven.

Faculty has worked that poor dude down!


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- William James, 06/ 4/15 10:55:57pm Thu

>Faculty has worked that poor dude down!

If by "worked down" you mean made a compelling argument... Agreed.

Colgate, like all colleges right now, is in a period of disruption. We need to open our minds to the possibility that our faculty are correct on this topic. A strong performing arts program is in everyone's best interest, and Colgate is behind our peers in terms of arts facilities.

Any "zero sum game" approach to funding is going to screw athletics at Colgate. We need to embrace the idea that EVERYONE WINS when we are excellent. Lacrosse wins? GREAT. Football wins? GREAT. Chemistry wins? GREAT. Performing arts wins? GREAT.

We should *all* win. We are Colgate.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- Steve, 06/ 5/15 3:02:44am Fri

The case for a new performing arts facility is indeed compelling. Just read the rationale for it from colgate.edu below:

http://news.colgate.edu/2015/05/colgate-universitys-task-force-on-performing-arts-facilities-submits-final-report.html/

And look at the bigger picture, one best understood by the by Dennis Cronin and his Board. Colgate needs, and students, faculty and staff deserve nothing but the best, and these are delivered after careful thought and study according to our means. Hence the (fully funded) new career center, The Class of 1965 Arena,the CAC in the Village- all under construction or pre-construction phases for 2016 or so delivery. Then there are the residential life colleges (the first of which is this fall) and a new dorm between Andrews and Stillman for 2017.

Back to the performing arts center case which speaks for itself and which will undoubtedly attract great support from a sometimes overlooked alumni/parent constituency, one also engaged with the CAC's funding... The objective can be understood as simply another way to attract the brightest and best students, faculty and staff to one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. The core component of the 2012 Capital Campaign supporting financial aid and ongoing efforts to deliver a need-blind future is already making that happen with the Athletics Department another beneficiary.

William James is right: Everyone wins when Colgate alumni and supporters generally pull together. Ho, Case, Lathrop's renovation, and the entire athletics department's facilities/direction represent a transformed campus- incredible change in a mere 8 years. Same for the Village since the Inn was renovated in 2011.

Alumni, parents, students/faculty/staff and other Colgate supporters have a lot to be proud of. Personally, I will confidently plan for and make donations for the repurposing of Starr and the performing arts center when their plans are costed and rolled out.

Go 'gate!

ps- the guy pictured in the article with the blue shirt is Andrew Nairin '14, a former football player from California. If you know football you probably know his parents too.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- Gate'83, 06/ 5/15 11:45:43am Fri

Steve, while I was reading this just now a text from Brian popped up. I sent along your regards!


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Reconfiguring the space vacated by Starr Rink -- Cr, 06/ 5/15 1:49:07pm Fri

>The case for a new performing arts facility is indeed
>compelling. Just read the rationale for it from
>colgate.edu below:
>
> >href="http://news.colgate.edu/2015/05/colgate-universit
>ys-task-force-on-performing-arts-facilities-submits-fin
>al-report.html/">http://news.colgate.edu/2015/05/colgat
>e-universitys-task-force-on-performing-arts-facilities-
>submits-final-report.html/

>
>And look at the bigger picture, one best understood by
>the by Dennis Cronin and his Board. Colgate needs,
>and students, faculty and staff deserve nothing but
>the best, and these are delivered after careful
>thought and study according to our means. Hence the
>(fully funded) new career center, The Class of 1965
>Arena,the CAC in the Village- all under construction
>or pre-construction phases for 2016 or so delivery.
>Then there are the residential life colleges (the
>first of which is this fall) and a new dorm between
>Andrews and Stillman for 2017.
>
>Back to the performing arts center case which speaks
>for itself and which will undoubtedly attract great
>support from a sometimes overlooked alumni/parent
>constituency, one also engaged with the CAC's
>funding... The objective can be understood as simply
>another way to attract the brightest and best
>students, faculty and staff to one of the most
>beautiful campuses in the country. The core component
>of the 2012 Capital Campaign supporting financial aid
>and ongoing efforts to deliver a need-blind future is
>already making that happen with the Athletics
>Department another beneficiary.
>
>William James is right: Everyone wins when Colgate
>alumni and supporters generally pull together. Ho,
>Case, Lathrop's renovation, and the entire athletics
>department's facilities/direction represent a
>transformed campus- incredible change in a mere 8
>years. Same for the Village since the Inn was
>renovated in 2011.
>
>Alumni, parents, students/faculty/staff and other
>Colgate supporters have a lot to be proud of.
>Personally, I will confidently plan for and make
>donations for the repurposing of Starr and the
>performing arts center when their plans are costed and
>rolled out.
>
>Go 'gate!
>
>ps- the guy pictured in the article with the blue
>shirt is Andrew Nairin '14, a former football player
>from California. If you know football you probably
>know his parents too.


Great people!


[ Edit | View ]





[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.