VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08/13/15 4:53:00pm Thu
Author: Eyes of the beholder
Subject: Re: college life at Colgate
In reply to: Fordham alum 's message, "college life at Colgate" on 08/13/15 3:57:57pm Thu

Fordham alum, this will provide some of the parameters, statistically speaking, of the incoming freshman class:
http://www.colgate.edu/admission-financial-aid/class-of-2019-profile
Keep in mind, a school of 'Gate's size and selectivity is looking at more than just stats to select students to contribute to this "community."

I would recommend that your daughter arrange through the admissions dept to spend a night or two with current students during the school year. Now that she has presumably experienced Hammy in all of the bucolic charm of summer, an additional visit in January would be part of the litmus test if it were my daughter.

Yes, the environment and sense of community at Colgate are somewhat unique. But, like every other college, each is not the ideal fit for each prospective student who ostensibly fit within the school's statistical parameters.

On that January visit, your daughter might want to meet kids coming from your area and elsewhere. It would be advisable for her to spend some time with students pursuing the major or career plans and co-curricular activities that interest her.

And please feel free to check back with other questions as you help your daughter process her January trip. Gate alums will love to share our experiences and help you and your daughter make the right decision for your family.
Best of Luck!
go gate!

>My daughter recently visited Colgate and both of us
>really loved the school and the people we met there.
>It seems like the university really tries to instill a
>sense of community there. Any insights from you all
>in terms of minimum SAT scores and whether it makes
>sense to apply early decision would be really
>appreciated. Would you all recommend that your child
>attend? Just interested in what you think the pluses
>and minuses are. thanks very much for any insights!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: college life at Colgate -- gate, 08/13/15 6:22:29pm Thu

Enough with the "January visit" propaganda. Last time I checked, Boston was still melting in May. Anyone who understands geography knows that all 4 seasons at Colgate are beautiful but that winter has a stronghold. I'd guess that more than 2/3 of all applicants never visited campus...and lo and behold, they didn't transfer. Alumni know the true benefits of a Colgate degree despite the prolonged winter or the pastoral campus. Colgate does not hide these facts but embraces them. Prospective students are not ignorant and must embrace them, too.

What is it about Colgate, exactly, that appeals to your daughter? I would be interested to know which other schools she is considering. The D-I sports and larger student body make it noticeably different from NESCAC schools, very comparable to Patriot League schools (Lafayette, Bucknell, Holy Cross), but smaller and less selective than the Ivies.

My degree from Colgate impressed at every job interview; the alumni network is the most dedicated, respected, and well-renown anywhere.

As you have mentioned, there is a true sense of community at Colgate. It is even mentioned in the supplement to the application. Students are encouraged to contribute to the community in any way, shape or form. Here is a link for you:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhj45mdme/11-hamilton-ny/
(click on the double arrows on slide for info)

And some additional information; some compare Colgate to other Liberal Arts Colleges, others (Payscale, Brookings, Princeton Review) compare Colgate to all National Colleges and Universities. I do have links for each article.

#10 for Most Income Earned by Graduates (Money Magazine)
#6 best Liberal Arts School for an Education (Money)
#4 Best College for Highest Paid Grads (Money)
#1 Most Beautiful College Campus (PR - Princeton Review)
#10 Best College Library (PR)
#11 Best Financial Aid (PR)
#36 Top Green Colleges (PR)
#7 Happiest Students (Unigo)
#2 "Value Added" (Brookings Institute)
#12 College Salary Report by Earnings (Payscale)

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.