VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: The dead horse.

Author:
Daniel
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:37:15 11/30/17 Thu
In reply to: Margaret 's message, "Re: The dead horse." on 01:32:04 11/30/17 Thu

" ... I wonder how others have fared when faced with this situation ..."

Good question. My wife and I raised eight children so initially when the oldest daughter went off to college, she was issed but it certainly was far from an empty nest. Besides she came home on weekends quite often, often with one of her dorm mates, giving us an extra girl or two as guests. And frequently they brought laundry.
The boys left in turn, mostly to join one of our military services, interspersed with their sisters getting married or also going to a college. That process stretched over about eighteen years as one or another matured.
That was offset when my wife and I took in and eventually adopted two young children, a female about six and her brother aged four or five.
About the time that there was an empty bedroom, one or another of the girls found some reason to return home along with one to three grandchildren, adding another fifteen years to the process.
I do remember one stretch around the time we celebrated our fortieth anniversary when we went about a month and a half with no live in guests. I was sitting in my recliner when it struck me that the house was very quiet and I felt lonely. That was just before we one of the boys retired from the Navy after twenty four years and he, his second wife, and three grandchildren moved in while e found a job and bought a house around the corner almost next to one of the girls.
Now while for the last several years technically no one is officially living in the house, there is seldom a week and almost never a weekend when someone is staying over. And we like it that way.
I did convert one bedroom into an office, more or less, and built shelves all around another room for books that we accumulated over the years, but that still leaves three available bedrooms for whomever needs a place to stay.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.