[ Show ]
[ Shrink ]
Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor
of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users'
privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your
privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket
to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we
also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.
Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your
contribution is not tax-deductible.)
Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):
[ Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:28:34 10/02/18 Tue
Author: just an honest observation
Subject: This will probably come across as being nasty and be attacked like the above, I am sure,; but, why not ask the other sport/activity to change? That seems reasonable and simple, too. Picking up from the above.
In reply to:
's message, "Actually no it doesn’t and we have 1 sport besides dance" on 13:19:17 10/02/18 Tue
If it's such a simple request for a feis,then it stands to reason that same should apply to the other activity your child/children may be involved in. Have actually done it, to -
Why is it always the feis that has to accommodate individual families' schedules? Why can't the families ask coaches to re-arrange a team's schedule? Please don't say it's because it's a team or league or whatever, because in basic numbers, dealing with fewer players than what a feis has to deal with on one day.
A league may have 12 or 15 teams, made up of say, 15 players, maybe 25, so will split the difference at 20 by 15 teams. So, that's 300 to be scheduled. Some of the feiseanna have 800 to 1200 to schedule. You think it's an easy and simple request; however, with those types of numbers for a single day? Gargantuan request, far from simple.
It's not just the numbers of competitors, either, add in the venue and available stages, levels, and various competitions.
- some competitions have 2 rounds, some 3, there are specials, then teams, not to mention, individual rounds for each type of step in grades.
- there are judges who may only be able to judge certain levels, or may have to arrive late or leave early or may have dancers in some levels and have to be only on a particular stage.
- there are musicians who can only be on grades or prelim stages,
- there may be a series of 5 or few competitors in competitions and 25 or 18 in others on side by side stages (as in grades)
- There might be a run on entries at the last minute, adding to comps changing up timing and order
- the feis has to end up by a certain time, too
Sadly, those who go on about getting a schedule at the issue of the syllabus always think that it is an easy thing for a feis to run a certain way to placate them.
Here's what happens when an upfront schedule goes awry.
- Feis runs behind schedule - how often are those complaints here
- dancers have to wait longer and longer to compete because of a schedule that was "guessed" at two/ three months out and complaints abound
- Results get jammed up, and people have to wait hours, there start the complaints, again
- People complain bitterly that the feis didn't follow what it posted due to delays, etc.
With fluctuating numbers from year to year, it is even harder to calculate a workable schedule ahead.
What is a "simple request" to some, appears as a "demand" or entitlement to others. Frankly, trying to accommodate the majority of the competitors at an Irish dance competition is no easy task. And then these "simple requests" which are nothing more than a veiled dig to accommodate a handful of families, and make feiseanna look bad for not making it all nicey-nice for them.
Feiseanna are going out of their ways to make everything work for the majority along with what works for the venue and their set-up. Yet, some want even more than that.
Sad - that.
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
[ Contact Forum Admin ]
Forum timezone: GMT-5|
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.