VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:18:54 10/04/18 Thu
Author: ...
Subject: I really don’t understand some of these responses. The OP is not demanding anything and is not acting entitled
In reply to: If feis organizers were to post a proposed schedule for their feis when syllabus is released... 's message, "Feis schedules" on 14:12:12 10/01/18 Mon

Feis numbers are low in general. Today’s kids and parents tend to be over stretched and over booked. The simple question of would more people sign up for a feis if they have a general timeline ahead of time is a valid question. My answer is yes. For us it is not as much a question of other activities but rather travel time and distance. I live in a more remote area of this region that I have to travel at least 1 1/2 hrs for a few feis, over 2 hrs for most and then several options closer to 3+ hrs. If my dd or other child has another activity we skip the feis. That does limit us since my dd and my son are both 3 season athletes. Because of this we may need to skip the close feis but then don’t sign up for the far feis not knowing when my dd will dance and if we need a hotel the night before or will we be home too late on a Sunday etc. If a feis gave a generic time frame like youngest to oldest that would help us to make the decision to go or not. I realize this is not realistic for every feis as many have pointed out. I do believe this is realistic for many, well established and well run feis. I have often looked at results on feisweb to see time lines for previous years and I often see a pattern. For the record our school does run a feis. I am not directly in charge of the schedule but I am very involved overall and work closely with the feis chair. Our schedule stays very similar every year. People aren’t asking for a detailed schedule but rather generic time frames that I believe our feis could provide. I recognize small feis with fewer stages or newer feis may not have this opportunity. A poster above keeps pointing out that several feis have stayed open until the week of. This doesn’t help if the schedule hasn’t come out yet. I can tell you from personal experience a feis just this year stayed open until the week of and published the schedule before it closed. My dd and another dancer from our school both then signed up once we saw the schedule and new it would work. There is a post on the other board discussing how important early registration is for a feis to get money early to cover up front costs. Having a generic timeline may encourage more early registration.
I don’t think the OP was demanding anything. I am not either and I am very grateful that we don’t use the same format that overseas feis do. I also don’t think because back in the day we didn’t have any schedule doesn’t mean we have to just be grateful for the amenities we have now. Irish Dance is evoloving and continues to take advantage of modern technology to improve the feis experience. Continuing to talk about options and suggestions to increase registration numbers is not only a smart idea but a necessity to keep some of these smaller feis running. If the numbers continue to drop we will start loosing feis because they won’t be able to afford to run them.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.