VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:16:53 10/04/18 Thu
Author: families are even smaller, now
Subject: We travel an hour and forty minutes just for class, others travel longer. So? I think the point trying to be made was that it is not an easy thing to establish for many feiseanna. If they give out that they are going to run a particular way, and have to change it up - then what would happen?
In reply to: ... 's message, "I really don’t understand some of these responses. The OP is not demanding anything and is not acting entitled" on 17:18:54 10/04/18 Thu

Read the OP as a demand, it wasn't just "asking" it was really more.

It's never been a problem for families before, except all of a sudden - now! The same issues have existed for at least 20 years.

The OP was answered, repeatedly, but apparently that wasn't enough for others who kept digging at it and really making more of an entitlement by what they were saying. Thinking that it might be the same couple, too (and to be frank, I've been one who's responded before, too)

Sure, some feiseanna have had small numbers and can guarantee that grades will be in the morning or afternoon, but the times they've changed it up, they get attacked for doing so.

Was at a feis last year, that was running on-time, imagine that! On time, and a parent went after a stage manager, screaming at the manager about how dare it run on time - seriously? That's where we are at with things now.

Feiseanna are afraid to commit to a schedule until they have a good grasp on the numbers. Feiseanna don't want to be blasted for a Feis that runs behind times because more entered particular comps than expected.

Frequently, grades stages wind up before or after champ comps and that's all dependent on the numbers in the champs. Large numbers in champs, they usually run first up, smaller number in champs, they run after. Won't know that until closing dates.

The feiseanna are doing their best to make the day run smoothly and efficiently for all those who enter, not just one level or age group.

What amazes me is the gripe that feiseanna are money-grubbing. Really? Put the shoe on the other foot. Could say the same about the parents who hold their entries "hostage" until they get a schedule. (trust me, we've lost probably a good thousand over the years in entries we couldn't make - losing entries for the next weekend, too as something came up) By the way, feiseanna barely clear their expenses, if they are lucky.

A feis has so much more to consider, and that, too, has been pointed out over and over. It's not like scheduling a handful of teams on a weekend. That's easy peasy, come on. But try to figure out where to put 800 dancers of varying levels on any given stage at any given time with any given set of judges and musicians, and then to ensure there are no time conflicts with other competitions throughout the day? And expect it all to run smoothly and in a timely manner? Think about it for a moment.

What you "ask" for many feis is really a difficult thing when they have to work all those details in. The more comps, the more considerations they have to make. Those feis would love to be able to give you all a definitive answer, but they really can't.

But to deride the feiseanna for not being able to accommodate a schedule up front as many in this thread are also doing, is so incredibly wrong.

Basically, many of us have done similarly over all these years, we've either gone or not, entered or not - but we didn't blast the feis or knock it or go off publicly about going or not, either. We dealt with it, nothing more.

People have said the same here, too. Having family schedules with conflicts hasn't changed, either. It's not a new thing, but the way some of you moan about it (yes, moan), oh! my! goodness! But then you attack those who have pointed out that they've managed (called them sanctimonious, huh?)
I am shaking my head, nothing has changed, except your own expectations of others, I hate to say, catering, to you. This is just another example and why people see the asking as a demand.

Okay - so you don't want to go to a feis that doesn't give out a schedule, wonderful, but why broadcast derision and mocking (as many have done about it)?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.