VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:37
Author: Bill - 19 Sep 2001
Subject: Re: The Books of Srila Prabhupada
In reply to: Brian - 18 Sep 2001 's message, "The Books of Srila Prabhupada" on 07:36

Brian,

My experience with ISKON hasn't been very good. In the late 60's while visiting a local temple I was told that Yogananda was a mere yogi, everything was Krishna. They apparently believed that a blue-bodied boy/man who lived for a time here on earth is the Supreme Spirit. Not Supreme Spirit became Krishna. Krishna is Supreme Spirit.

I liked chanting the mahamantra with the devotee's for a couple of hours that day and felt that if we could each unite in devotional (different than emotional) kirtan there wouldn't be so much misunderstanding.

Another facet that I find troubling. Bhaktivedanta seems to want to turn followers into Indian's. They have to dress in the garb of the time of Chaitanya, become strict vegetarian's, assume Indian names, and all the rest. I don't find that in Yogananda's teachings; in fact he seemed to emphasize the inner connection to God over the outer, the birthplace of each devotee determining the style of life. In other word's, he didn't try to turn his follower's into Indian's; and in my opinion, that helped to broaden the acceptance of the teachings he brought with him from India.

I haven't read the translation of Bhaktavedanta's Gita. It is so highly touted by the reviews of academic's you've posted that the next time I'm at the local library I'll take a look.

Those are just my own thoughts and shouldn't be seen as anything but that.

Shanti
Bill

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.