VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:15
Author: Anonymous - 22 Oct 2001
Subject: Re: Walter's Real Motivation
In reply to: Anonymous - 22 Oct 2001 's message, "Re: Walter's Real Motivation" on 15:13

This comparison study covers several different topics;

Do we need to attune ourselves with perfected gurus or lesser teachers?

Do we need a teacher as well as a guru?

Is it important to have a physically living teacher?

What role do printed yoga lessons, or membership in a spiritual organization play in our spiritual growth?

The following quote is from an article written by Mr. Walters, and published in the July/August, 1995 issue of "Yoga International magazine". Following is a quote by quote breakdown and comparison with Paramahansa Yogananda's statements on the same issues.

J.Donald Walters:

"A living example of perfection is something for which most people are by no means ready. It is not, therefore, what they presently need. What will help them most, rather, is contact with others who are more advanced than themselves, but who, like themselves, are still reaching up toward the Eternal Light....Better still, for most seekers, is contact with living instruments of great masters, for it is important to receive into oneself directly the ray of divine grace....seekers cannot lift themselves by human power alone above human consciousness into the spiritual realms. This grace comes to us from above, transmitted through contact with living human beings who have previously received it and nurtured it in themselves. Such blessings come not from books, printed lessons, or membership in a religious institution."

"Gurus and the inner experience of truth" by Walters, July/August, 1996 issue of Yoga International magazine, pg. 39.

Now the comparison:

J. Donald Walters:

"A living example of perfection is something for which most people are by no means ready. It is not, therefore, what they presently need...."

Paramahansa Yogananda:

"Jesus, Krishna, and the Masters are great reflections of God, perfect examples for you to follow. Thus you may know you too are a potential child of God. We are all sons of the one Father. But you have to realize that!"

SRF Lesson, 1956 copyright, S-1, P-1, pg. 5.

"...It would indeed be a boon if each student could keep by his side a guru perfected in divine wisdom..."

Autobiography of a Yogi, 12th. Edition, pg. 464.

"All true gurus are "living," whether in a physical body or not. Their consciousness is attuned to their disciples, whether or not all are living on the same plane. One of the essential qualities of a true guru is omnipresence."

SRF Lesson, 1956 copyright, S-2, P-51, pg. 2.

"A seeker may have HAD many spiritual teachers, but he can have only one guru. When he finds his guru, he follows him solely and steadfastly. God is visible in the lives of those who love Him and are in tune with Him. Thus whoever attunes himself with his guru finds God. Do you see how important it is to follow one who can show you the way to God through his example?

Paramahansa Yogananda, Thursday evening service, SRF Headquarters, December 21, 1939, quoted in SRF magazine, Summer, 1976.

"My Master (Swami Sri Yukteswar) was such a great soul--such souls you will read about when I have completed my book. (Autobiography of a Yogi) He never brought his ideals down to the level of his disciples. He was firm and uncompormising. But he used to tell me that my ways were softer than his. I understood him. And what he did for me, no words can describe. I would rather be trampled by his scoldings than be enthroned in a castle without God. I always told him my foremost craving was to get along with God."

Paramhansa Yogananda, Sunday morning lecture, Golden Lotus Temple, Encinitas; SRF magazine, Summer, 1996, pg. 10.

J. Donald Walters:

"What will help them most, rather, is contact with others who are more advanced than themselves, but who, like themselves, are still reaching up toward the Eternal Light...."

Paramahansa Yogananda:

"The blind cannot lead the blind; Only a Master, one who knows God, may rightly teach others about Him. To regain one's divinity one must have such a master or guru. He who faithfully follows a true guru becomes like him, for the guru helps to elevate the disciple to his own level of realization."

SRF magazine, Special Centennial Issue, Winter, 1993, pg. 3.

"There are many who are trying to lead others, but who have no right to lead. The blind cannot lead the blind. No one can take you to God unless he himself has found God. Societies develop around charismatic personalities, but they die out with those personalities."

Paramahansa Yogananda, quoted in Self-Realization Magazine, Spring, 1990, pg. 3.

"We may have many teachers in the beginning of our spiritual search, but we have only one guru. After he has been found there is no need for other teachers."

Paramahansa Yogananda, SRF Lessons, 1956 copyright, S-2, P-51, pg. 3.

J. Donald Walters:

"... seekers cannot lift themselves by human power alone above human consciousness into the spiritual realms...."

Paramahansa Yogananda:

"But when a devotee by self-effort uplifts his consciousness in meditation to the pure realms of the saints and angels, he himself will perceive through divine sight or wondrous intuitions the presence and guidance of the holy ones who are his spiritual benefactors, and the loving God who empowers them to dispense His grace."

"God talks with Arjuna; the Bhagavad Gita, translation by Paramahansa Yogananda, pg.992.

J. Donald Walters:

"Better still, for most seekers, is contact with living instruments of great masters, for it is important to receive into oneself directly the ray of divine grace...This grace comes to us from above, transmitted through contact with living human beings who have previously received it and nurtured it in themselves."

Paramahansa Yogananda:

"...Among these emancipated ones are the great gurus or spiritual preceptors appointed by the Lord to help mankind in silent, secret ways. They do not require any agent or 'medium' to reach the truth seeker who wants and needs their aid; they assist their disciples directly. Whether or not the devotee is conscious of such help does not matter; he will understand that he is receiving divine succor according to the way he himself changes inwardly and outwardly for the better..."

SRF magazine, April/June, 1966, pg. 17, the "Spiritual Interpretation of the Bhagavad Gita," Chapter 17, Stanza 4 and "God talks with Arjuna; the Bhagavad Gita, translation by Paramahansa Yogananda, pg. 990.

"All true gurus are "living," whether in a physical body or not. Their consciousness is attuned to their disciples, whether or not all are living on the same plane. One of the essential qualities of a true guru is omnipresence."

SRF Lesson, 1956 copyright, S-2, P-51, pg.2.

"It is not personal association so much as attunement of thought with the messenger of God that destroys delusion. The true guru has no desire to place himself in the hearts of others, but rather to awaken in their consciousness the consciousness of God."

SRF magazine, Special Centennial Issue, Winter, 1993, pg. 5.

"Those who have come to Self-Realization truly seeking inward spiritual help shall receive what they seek from God. Whether they come while I am in the body, or afterward, the power of God through the link of the SRF Gurus shall flow into the devotee just the same, and shall be the cause of their salvation."

Paramahansa Yogananda, quoted in a letter from Self-Realization Fellowship to students, August, 1994.

"God has sent you to me, and I shall never fail you... "Even when I am gone my help will always be given to devotees all over the world, if they keep in tune. Never think for a moment that when I am physically absent from you all, I am not otherwise with you. I shall be just as deeply concerned for your spiritual welfare when I am no longer in the body as I am now. I shall always be watching over each one of you, and whenever a true devotee thinks of me in the silent depths of his soul, he will know that I am near."

Paramahansa Yogananda, quoted in the SRF calender, August, 1993.

"It is always best to proceed under the protecting guidance of a Self-realized guru, for to find God one must have a guru. SRF has it's guru. And one has only to tune in with him deeply to find all the guidance he needs. It is inwardly, rather than outwardly, that the guru guides one safely through the endless dangers and deceptions of delusion."

Paramahansa Yogananda, quoted in Self-Realization Magazine, Summer, 1985, pg. 3

J. Donald Walters:

"....Such blessings (neccasary to attain spiritual consciousness) come not from books, printed lessons... or membership in a religious institution."

Paramahansa Yogananda:

"These Lessons are not to be considered as ordinary correspondence course lessons, for they are impregnated with the spirit of great Masters. If you study them with reverence and deep attention, along with the practice of deep meditation, you will be in touch with the divine link of our Masters, and will be lifted into the kingdom of Cosmic Consciousness."

SRF Lessons, 1956 copyright, K-19, pg. 3,4.

"...It is much easier to reach God through the link of true masters with whom you are connected as a member of the Self-Realization Fellowship."

SRF Praecepta Lessons, K-17, pg. 3.

"Every student of Self-Realization-of all centers everywhere-who wishes to attain final emancipation, should be connected with the Self-Realization Fellowship headquarters directly by taking the priceless Self-Realization lessons.... the blind cannot lead the blind. Only a true guru can lead the devotee."

Paramahansa Yogananda, public meeting in 1948, quoted in SRF magazine, Spring, 1986, pg.60.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.