VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:08
Author: ketch - 5 Dec 2001
Subject: Re: We proudly present...
In reply to: Hendrik - 5 Dec 2001 's message, "We proudly present..." on 16:07

I have to admit to a mistake here.

One of the first posts on that group concerns the photograph of Lahiri Mahasaya and the addition of the cloth covering over the upper part of his body.

In an earlier reply I had written.

”I will give you one simple and harmless example. Kashi claims that Yogananda had a robe painted onto the well known picture of Lahiri Mahasaya out of love. I had never questioned this as it seemed a credible claim. However it was pointed out to me (on this board) that in fact the photograph was altered by SRF after Yogananda’s passing. This does seem to be the case. I cannot find a photo of Lahiri Mahasaya with a robe which appear in any publication during Yogananda’s life. So Kashi made a mistake. Fine, so do most of us, but it shows that Kashi is not infallible as some seem to believe. “

Since writing that I have found out some more about the matter. The altered photograph appears in the 1956 edition of “Autobiography of a Yogi”, and the following footnote about the picture appears on page 11.

”The picture is the same, except that a Bengali artist has added a cloth over the upper part of Lahiri Mahasaya’s body. Copies of this photograph, with or without the cloth, are available from SRF, Los Angeles.”

It seems that Mr Wallers story about how the photograph came to be altered is probably correct. Perhaps he is infallible after all.

I apologise to Mr Waller and his follower Vishal for my mistake in this matter.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.