VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]9 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:37
Author: ketch-24Aug01
Subject: Re: Religioius Freedom Threatened
In reply to: Yogananda Devotee - 23 Aug 2001 's message, "Religioius Freedom Threatened" on 13:35

My religious freedom is being curtailed by those fascist laws preventing me from sacrificing a virgin every full moon as my religion (which I just invented) demands. And those poor Rastafarian chappies are being denied the freedom to smoke dope as their religion requires.

This is a smoke screen being put up to avoid the real issues. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the long standing legal dispute between SRF and Ananda it is about copyright issues not religious freedom. There is no general right to freedom which allows people to ignore the laws of the land, except in exceptional circumstances.

"According to ancient tradition, each disciple has a right and a divine duty to share his guru's teachings as he feels inwardly inspired."

Rubbish. There is no such "ancient tradition". This is especially true of the teachings of kriya yoga where Lahiri Mahasaya allowed only certain authorised disciples to give kriya initiation. A quick search of the internet will reveal a host of guru wannabe's who claim they are able to give kriya initiation. Not all of them are authorised or competant to do so. It is not enough for people to claim they feel "inwardly inspired" to share their guru's teachings without proper authorisation.

I am not suggesting that Kriyananda is not authorised to give initiation, or that Ananda is not a legitimate place to receive kriya, just that the argument presented above is flawed.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.