VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:42
Author: ketch - 22 May 2001
Subject: Re: Perils of Kriya practice without proper guidance
In reply to: Hendrik - 21 May 2001 's message, "Perils of Kriya practice without proper guidance" on 14:41

The following story is taken from “A Search In Secret India” by Dr Paul Brunton.

“About the age of twelve I happened, by mere chance to overhear the conversation of some older persons and it was through their talk that I first discovered the existence of Yoga. This event aroused in me a desire to learn more of the matter. I began to enquire into it among several people and in this way was able to get a few books in Tamil, which revealed many interesting things about the Yogis. As a horse riding through a desert thirsts for water, so did my mind thirst for still further knowledge about them. But I came to a point where it seemed impossible to get to know more. One day I re-read as if by chance a sentence in one of the books. It was: ”To succeed on the path of Yoga, one must have a personal teacher.” These words now made a tremendous impression on me. I felt that only by leaving home and travelling about could I find a suitable teacher. To this course, my parents would not give permission. Not knowing what else to do I began to practise in secret some breathing exercises, about which I had collected some scraps of information. These practises did not help me; instead, they injured me. I did not then realise that without the guidance of an expert teacher, it is not safe for anyone to do them. But my eagerness was such that I could not wait till I met a teacher. Within a few years the effect of these breathing exercises showed itself. A small rupture made its appearance on the top of my head; it seemed that the skull was broken in its weakest spot. Anyway blood streamed from the wound and my body became cold and numb. I thought I was dying. Two hours later a strange vision crossed my mind’s eye. I seemed to see the figure of a venerable Yogi, who addressed me saying: “You now see what a dangerous condition you have brought yourself into by these forbidden practices. Let this be a severe lesson to you.” The vision disappeared and, peculiarly enough, from that moment my state grew better and I completely recovered. But the scar remains still.”

Brama bends his head so as to show the crown to our eyes. A tiny rounded scar is plainly visible on his poll.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.