VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:48
Author: Hendrik - 22 May 2001
Subject: Re: Perils of Kriya practice without proper guidance
In reply to: ketch - 22 May 2001 's message, "Re: Perils of Kriya practice without proper guidance" on 14:42

Interesting coincidence. I post a quote from Sri Aurobindo, you one from Paul Brunton, on the same topic. As a matter of fact both knew each other. As you know, Brunton travelled to India and became a disciple of Ramana Maharshi.

Not so well-known are the facts of Paul Brunton's later life. A friend of mine told me a story how Brunton withdraw from the public, spending his last years in seclusion in Switzerland. He left a lot of notebooks from this period, which later have been edited and published. I have looked into one of them and found it full of interesting suggestions.

However, Sri Aurobindo's negative view of Brunton's spiritual life as reproduced below may hold true. At least two biographical accounts of Paul Brunton have been published so far, please go to the link at the bottom of the page and read the reviews of one of those. It seems after having spent some time with Maharshi he had pretty much set out on his own.

Here are extracts of two talks, I cannot type down all, hence extracts...The book referred to in the below talk is Brunton's A Search In Secret Egypt, first published in 1936.

December 11, 1938

Sri Aurobindo:
Many people have experiences of subtle realities. Paul Brunton told us he was always aware of some Presence accompanying him but could not identify it. When he saw my photo it did not at all resemble his vision, but when he saw me at Darshan time he at once recognized me as the Presence.

M: Why didn't he remain here if he had an opening to you and also admiration for you?

Sri Aurobindo: We did not advise him to remain. The Mother, after a meditation with him, told him about some of his difficulties and he admitted she was right......

November 30, 1939

S:
He himself has gone in for several superficial things, magic, occult phenomena, etc. His book on Egypt has a lot of that stuff. He speaks of an Egyptian he found on the top of a hill, who prophesied the destruction of Europe.

Sri Aurobindo: That man 1200 years old, who had an Oxford accent in his speech? There was no Oxford accent at all 1200 years ago. It may be P.B.'s own Egyptian self and hence the accent. That book on Egypt is...(Sri Aurobindo began to shake his head). All the same, he had some sincere seeking for yoga. It was spoiled by all sorts of people. He ought to have left everything in the hands of Maharshi.

Brunton Biography Book Review

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.