VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:37
Author: Hendrik - 17 Jun 2001
Subject: Re: Interesting article by a Kundalini victim
In reply to: Frank - 12 Jun 2001 's message, "Re: Interesting article by a Kundalini victim" on 19:35

Hi Frank,

SRF Mother Center urges a person applying for Kriya Yoga to get initiated in one of the Kriya initiations conducted by ordained SRF ministers. You will get taught Kriya during such an event, and in addition receive a series of printed lessons that explain the philosophy of Kriya Yoga and provide a detailed descripitions of the techniques to be performed.

Those who don't have the opportunity to partake in an initiation event can get the printed Kriya Lessons by mail and start practicing with the Lessons acting as a basis. But even in this case it is advised - though not obligatory - that you partake in an initiation event at any later time when there is opportunity.

How does SRF know if a student who they initiate does not have a mental illness?

They do not know. Applying for initiation means that you submit a written application form after having completed the three preliminary techniques for a fixed period of time. You have also to write down an outline of those three techniques to show Mother Center that you have thoroughly studied them, but this is very easy as you only have to (and apparently shall) paraphrase the respective Lessons in which the techniques are described.

I applied for Kriya and openly admitted that the three preliminary exercises had no definite impact on my life. This was accepted and I was congratulated for my honesty. More important to them is whether you can live with the idea of accepting Paramahansa Yogananda as your Sat-Guru for all eternity, and they may ask again about it if they feel you are not one hundred percent sure about it. When you tell them you are sure, you are declared eligible for Kriya Initiation and soon receive the mailed Kriya Lessons.

Regarding your actual psychological condition it does not matter whether you partake in a public initiation ceremony or just get the Lessons - the process of finding out about your mental state runs by the written reports you send, and once you have received written permission no one will ever ask you again about it.

In my view it is impossible for them to find out sufficiently whether you possess the required mental stability for embarking on the Kriya path unless all people at Mother Center handling requests are clairvoyants, which I doubt.

On my former message board one person posted several messages that indicated that he required psychological treatment and suffered from paranoia. According to his own statements, he got thrown out of several SRF meditation groups and behaved very aggressively, both there and on my board. Nevertheless he was declared eligible by Mother Center and admitted to Kriya Yoga initiation. In my opinion he was clearly not eligible for receiving anything like Kriya; he couldn't even help denouncing a regular visitor of my board as "the devil", after Yogananda had supposedly "intuited" this information to him.

Another man once wrote that upon applying for Kriya he got a negative reply by SRF ministers, but due to direct intervention by Daya Mata his fate changed and he received Kriya.

From such instances you can see that Mother Center have no idea whether you are eligible or not. They could ascertain to a more reliable extent if they held phone contact with all enrollees - but this is not supposed to be necessary (coz they break down under thousands of phone inquiries).

I cannot criticize SRF for that modus operandi, what else shall they do? Obviously with an eye on potential difficulties that may arise from rash or exaggerated Kriya practice, they have slowed down the pace of Kriya practice considerably. Originally the number of pranayams to be performed was not a great issue in Kriya; you could increase quickly and find your own pace, while in SRF you have to ask for permission just to add another 12, and if you write them about it it may take half a year until you receive a reply. So better phone. I assume that SRF tries to moderate its Kriya instructions so as to meet the lowest common denominator. Under the general circumstances I think this is a wise choice. I think at the pace SRF offers it is rather unlikely that a normal man gets into dire psychological problems, and slightly unstable persons won't, either.

SRF may not yet be really a Church, but its structures are that of a Church, and there is no guru, no strong individual guidance, rather general advice by ordained ministers. It is unlike the traditional guru-disciple relationship where direct contact between Guru and disciple is of great importance.

Today Kriya is taught by many people and organizations. After all, SRF is a "safe" place. My suggestion to those who feel good with SRF is to stay there; and for those who don't, or don't anymore, to leave without giving a damn for any 'loyalty' considerations. Be sure that what churchgoers consider as loyalty is nothing but a mental prison forced on you by others.

Hendrik

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.