VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:39
Author: Mac - 18 Jun 2001
Subject: Re: Interesting article by a Kundalini victim
In reply to: Frank - 18 Jun 2001 's message, "Re: Interesting article by a Kundalini victim" on 19:38

Frank,

"Maybe "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" by M could be required reading by every student of Yogananda? At the very least, one could see that Yogananda's teachings are universally shared, and not "owned" by any one group. "

I often think exactly this, especially after some encounters with SRF members. I once attended an SRF Sunday service at Encinitas Temple where the minister was talking about Yogananda's teachings and said "I don't know anyone else in the world who teaches this. That is the uniqueness of our Guru." And what he was referring to was pure Vedanta, as taught by Yogananda, Ramakrishna, and countless others before. Nothing unique about it. So many SRF people never find out the countless bonds that exist between the lineages of Yogananda/Sri Yukteswar/Lahiri Mahasaya and Sri Ramakrishna and his disciples. In fact I read in one of Swami Satyeswarananda's books that Sri Yukteswar actually approached The Ramakrishna Order and proposed to merge his organization, Sat Sanga Sova, with RO. He agreed with their teachings, and felt that they were missing practical yoga methods to achieve the goal of the Vedanta philosophy they were teaching, and wanted to join their order to teach Kriya there. And Yogananda's years in India before he left for the West are so intertwined with the Ramakrishna people and their holy places. Ramakrishna is HUGE in Bengal, and Yogananda is a product of that culture.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.