VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:32
Author: Mike Drake - 14 Jun 2001
Subject: Re: SRF machinations
In reply to: Hendrik - 14 Jun 2001 's message, "Re: SRF machinations" on 18:30

I just have one question: Is there even one documented instance of these alleged remarks being "published" (e.g., in a dated letter) BEFORE Yogananda's death?*

Anyway, Hendrik, I think most of your conclusions are reasonable. I don't question that Yogananda might have had a vague sense of his coming passage. I only questioned what I think is the impossibly dubious notion that he actually selected the place and time of his passing (and by it meant to send a sign).

And I still find it unfathomable that anyone (adherent or no) could view it as "appropriate" for Yogananda to opt to die in the middle of someone else's banquet. So far from bringing dignified closure to Yogananda's mission, it almost smacks of tragic burlesque. There are countless other, better ways to die "with one's boots on, talking of India."

___
NOTES
*I hope readers see the problem: "predictions" reported after the fact are highly suspect, rather uninteresting evidence. If Yogananda had meant to send a clear sign to his adherents that he would select or had selected the time and place of his passing, any writing to that effect in his own hand would have sufficed. As it is, all we have are ex post remembrences subject to availibility bias, serial position effects, and other psychological and mnemonic foibles. Only an adherent would find such evidence compelling.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.