VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:34
Author: Hendrik - 14 Jun 2001
Subject: Re: SRF machinations
In reply to: Mike Drake - 14 Jun 2001 's message, "Re: SRF machinations" on 18:32

I just have one question: Is there even one documented instance of these alleged remarks being "published" (e.g., in a dated letter) BEFORE Yogananda's death?

Good point. Indeed predictions having become true are invariably published or become known afterwards only.

As long as no contemporary written evidence is produced, all what I said about Yogananda's inner beliefs remain probabilities - probable because there are just too many people who act uniformly as witness for the same matter in dispute, including some who have left SRF and published their books elsewhere. We will have proof only after getting hold of some documents that confirm the ex post remembrances. But this proof would not necessarily be watertight either.

There are letters. Yogananda wrote hundreds of letters to his disciple Rajarsi. They are all extant and arranged carefully, but not available to the public, God knows why. However Yogananda kept secret to Rajarsi about his imminent death so as not to hurt him, consequently these letters probably won't help us.

A lot of letters written to his disciple Dr. Lewis have been published by Dr. Lewis' daughter Brenda, but I can't remember him hinting at such a possibility there either.

There are some other letters being published, but I can't remember one in which he announces his own end. Maybe I am wrong, and there is. However I am not sure if I would perpetuate my misgivings in written form if I was in Yogananda's situation. Thoughts fixed in writing can exert a considerable force.

Even in a letter written to his disciple Kamala Silva, dated as late as February 20, 1952 - he mentioned the Ambassador's banquet there already which he wanted to attend - he merely remarked that he is buried so much under work with writing his books, that he is not able to answer all the letters he receives. No mention of a possibility of an impending death.

That he was buried under work is true; two years earlier he mentioned in a letter that he is just arranging 4000 pages of Gita commentaries - an indication that the two volumes of 'God Talks to Arjuna' comprising more than 1000 printed pages were indeed written by him and not for some part by later editors as some suggest. During his very last time he was working on a comprehensive Bible commentary which has still not been published in that form.

But, as I tried to show in my other post, he seems to have been aware of a more exact date of his passing not before a few weeks before his death, at most.

Paulsen quotes Yogananda as saying in late 1950/early 1951: "Divine Mother wants to take me away. I am trying to talk her out of it," and to another group of disciples, "I am now living on borrowed time. Divine Mother could take me at any minute."

Paulsen's book is also one of the works written long after the events mentioned in it. It was published first in 1980, revised and given a new title in 1984, and revised again in 1994 (which is the edition on which I am relying). It would be interesting to read the respective chapters of the earlier editions. As we have seen with Satyeswarananda on a previous discussion, authors at times tend to portray facts in a different light after some years have elapsed. And Paulsen is one of the sort of people who feel electric vibrations just by meeting people who they believe to know from former lives, have intuitions about everything etc. -- after some other things I read from him I cannot vouch for him presenting his remembrances in an unbiased way. He is one of those who compulsively look for a secret or hidden meaning in everything, convinced of having a special mission etc. Had he remained with Yogananda, his fancies would have been knocked cold, I'm sure. But he chose to leave and became the leader of one of the biggest New Age Movements of the US in the 1970's, at least this is what I have read. He had high experiences but was lacking guidance and lost himself in his UFO and pre-astronautic stories. His book will be an interesting read, I am sure.

Hendrik

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.