VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Sun, November 17 2019, 17:18:05Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Tue, May 31 2005, 19:35:41
Author: Jeff Northridge
Author Host/IP: dialup-4.246.248.75.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net / 4.246.248.75
Subject: Some More Information
In reply to: Jeff Northridge 's message, "Re: Anthony Palumbo" on Fri, May 27 2005, 22:21:02

Howdy Rex;

I tried e-mailing you, but it was returned undeliverable. Since I just happen to have special connections with 2nd/47th HQ and because SP4 Palumbo was a fellow Panther, I took the trouble to ask about SP4 Palumbo. Thanks to Bob "Doc" Pries here's what I got:

To: <rpries@cinci.rr.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Wooten

I vertify that Palumbo was with Bravo Company but was not in the first platoon. He was killed by friendly fire close to our pulling out of Cholon. On the second day of fighting (I think) me and another guy were out of water and you probably remember how thirsty you became when the shit flew. Anthony Paul Palumbo gave us the last water he had to drink. I do not mean to be sacreligious but for myself, that was a Christ-like gesture---giving the last
of your water not knowing when there would be more.

Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 9:30 PM
Subject: Re: Wooten

Both Palumbo and Wooten were killed by a short artilllery round that hit us just as we were preparing to assault a VC position in Saigon. The artillery was supposed to stop, so we came out of cover and this round landed amongst 10 men. Two were killed (Wooten and Palumbo), seven were wounded, and the tenth had a nervous breakdown later. I believe the date was May 12, 1968. For some reason, I remember Palumbo's first name as Bernie; maybe that was a nickname. In any case, he was a mortarman (I do not remember the MOS for mortarman). I did not know Wooten; somebody at the time said he was an APC field mechanic. At the time, I understood that his brother had visited him. I do not remember what Wooten was killed, but I understand that the fatally injured Wooten died on the chopper pad awaiting evacuation.
Bob Dyson

To: rpries@cinci.rr.com
Cc: Ron Holmes
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 12:21 PM
Subject: Palumbo & Wooten

Good Morning Bob,
I don't know if you remember me at the reunion, I was with Ron Holmes. Both Ron and I were with the mechanics track, Baby Cakes. May 12th, 1968 was the day Anthony Palumbo (from the mortar squad) my self and others were hit with the so called short round. I can't remember why this rag tag squad was together. I was 11B40 attached to the maintenance group, Tony was with mortars and the others
were from various squads. We were detached from our unit trying to root out a sniper when the round fell. I was the NCOIC. I can recall only two of us making it out alive, Myself and another guy with a Polish surname. We were both
put on a chopper and flown to the 9th Med. With this information maybe someone can get the Company records and find more about who perished and if Wooten was among our squad. I personally would like to have this G2, it would answer may questions from the past.

Thanks for all your hard work

Regards

Virgil Bartolomucci

To: <rpries@cinci.rr.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Wooten and Palumbo

HI BOB
I READ YOUR LETTER INQUIRING,WOOTEN AND PALUMBO , YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE ROUND FALLEN SHORT IT LANDED IN FRONT OF BABY CAKES REMMBER IT WAS RIGHT AFTER WE HAD ARTILLERY COME IN BECAUSE OF HEAVY SNIPPER FIRE,WE WERE ORDERED TO FALL BACK/AND TAKE COVER.WHEN WE GOT WORD TO CROSS THE ROAD IS WHEN ONE ROUND CAME .AT FIRST EVERYONE THOUGHT IT WAS A ROCKET ,OUR FO AFTER CHECKING IT OUT FOUND US MARKINGS .THE WORD I GOT WAS IT WAS CALLED IN BY SOME BN CMDR IN A
CHOPPER I BELEAVE IT WAS THE 5/60CMDR I BELEAVE THAT THE ONE WAS FROM MAINT HE WAS ONLY WITH US 2 OR 3 DAYS I THINK HE WAS FROM TEXAS BECAUSE WE CALLED HIM TEX IF YOU CONTACT VIRGIL HE MAY REMEMBER MORE ,
YOUR BROTHER IN ARMS
RON

It looks like SP4 Palumbo was KIA due to "misadventure" and not due hostile causes. Such things happen in war. You have my deepest condolences.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.