VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tue, February 18 2020, 13:32:47Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, September 25 2005, 9:19:23
Author: Jack Stoddard
Author Host/IP: ip68-108-185-121.lv.lv.cox.net / 68.108.185.121
Subject: A real hero has gone on to Fiddler's Green

As VP of the Blackhorse Assn. I had the honor of meeting Monty more than once at our reunions. 1st Sgt. Monty Montelongo passed on this past week. This message was posted on our unit web site and I thought you guys might know a little about our Monty.

A Real American Hero Has Passed to Fiddlers Green

I think everyone that ever met Monty considered him a friend.

As I watch the news today they seem to use the word Hero, for everything, from nascar drivers, basketball players etc. I do not think any of those people deserve the word Hero.

Some people call anyone that goes to war a Hero, Few are in reality.

However one thing I can say, like so many others have said before Monty was a True American Hero, He never wanted the title, He earned it because of Heroic Deeds during many Battles some faught Hand to Hand.

I asked him at the Nashville reunion, Monty how did you get thru so many battles, what kept you going.

Monty told me that he usually worked alone as a recon Scout, He talked about being in the Battle of the Bulge, Korean War and Vietnam War.

And he said that he put his faith in God, and that every night when he returned from a mission He said a little prayer thanking God for another day.

Monty never told war stories, or even admitted to having any metals other than to say I have a few.

At the reunion in Nashville, I can tell you that Monty showed me His DD214, at my request .

Monty had earned

4 Silver Stars
8 Purple Hearts
8 Bronze Stars with V Devise

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.