VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Mon, November 18 2019, 5:56:50Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, October 23 2005, 0:35:45
Author: Don Poss
Author Host/IP: ca-hemet-terayon1l-32.ontrca.adelphia.net / 68.233.139.32
Subject: Re: Old Friend from Cannon AFB and Danang
In reply to: Donald Jones 's message, "Old Friend from Cannon AFB and Danang" on Mon, October 03 2005, 20:38:58

Hello, Don:

I have wondered for many years whatever happened to Gary Knutson. We were both from Long Beach, CA, and I only talked with him once after we rotated home in 1966. I am in regular touch with Gary Eberbach (K9), whom I introduced to his wife of 40 years! (only time I ever played match-maker)

I would love a copy of the 832d's yearbook, but would more than settle for a copy of the Air Police section! I would also really like to see the Da Nang photos you have, and if you can burn it all on a CD/DVD, that would be great.

Several of our Da Nang K9 handlers are members of the Vietnam Security Police Association, Inc. (USAF), which is the other web page I have ran for ten years now. Check out the Da Nang AB section at http://www.vspa.com .

Here's a list of some names you will recognize, written by Al Watts (VSPA member) who brought the first US K9 to Vietnam -- which few people realized were USAF (today, all services send their K9 members to Lackland AFB for K9 training):

"Vietnam, 366th Security Police Squadron, Da Nang AB - Original 13 K-9 Handlers!"

"Verbal orders of the commander, 1 Oct 65, Operation "TOP DOG 45"

My name is Al Watts, I was with the first sentry dog unit at DaNang in 1965. I came over with "TOP DOG 45" in 1965. I built the first kennels at DaNang and had to give up my dog which was named Blackie, to Don Poss. Later a TSgt Sorrells came in as Kennel Master. Da Nang K-9 expanded to 48 dog handlers. LTC Phillips was my Commander also. He was a fine officer. I left in '66, but still have fond memories of the k-9 section at DaNang. Later, Al Watts, TSgt (ret)

Sentry Dog Handlers assigned to 6252 APS SO A-25, Jan 1966:

A1C Watts, ALFORD W., Blackie (129x), VSPA member: Al forgot more than I ever knew about dogs. Brought the dogs over to Da Nang, and set up the outfit.

A2C BAKER, TOMMY J., VSPA member: I spoke with him about a month ago on the phone!

A3C BOLTON, TERRY D.
A2C BROWN, KENNETH B.
A2C DETOTA, JOHN A.

A2C EBERBACH, GARY F., Bucky, VSPA member: Came to my house at DEROS. Introduced him to Rita. Married now 40 years.

A2C FELKER, JAMES W.
A1C HUNTER, WAYNE L.
A2C JEZ, HENRY F.
A2C LEE, ROBERT A., Shep, VSPA member.
A2C MILLER, HORCE L.
A2C NORWICH, PHILIP Lucky - Deceased in Jan 1999 from an extended illness.
A2C PARSONS, RICHARD JR.,VSPA member: Photos to post of him soon.
A2C POSS, DONALD L., Blackie (129x) VSPA member: Probably the nicest guy in K-9, and the one I gave Blackie to."

The above are the handlers that took over after the orginals handlers delivered their dogs to Vietnam and left.

Don Poss,
Webmaster, War Stories

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.