VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Thu, November 14 2019, 2:56:23Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Wed, January 25 2006, 20:03:25
Author: Don Poss
Author Host/IP: hemet-ca-cuda-1-eacbo1-00-hemeca-68-235-196-147.ontrca.adelphia.net / 68.235.196.147
Subject: Re: DA Nang attack on aircraft July 1 1965
In reply to: William murnane 's message, "DA Nang attack on aircraft July 1 1965" on Thu, January 19 2006, 16:54:16

William:

I Webmaster War Stories and also the Vietnam Security Police Association (USAF). July 1, 1965, Da Nang Air Base, has a special meaning for me personally. I was stationed at Da Nang. Da Nang, known as Rocket City, earned that name beginning July 1, 1965, 0130. Da Nang received 6 mortar Rounds and about 25 Sappers on base. The one KIA was USAF SSgt Terance Jensen, of the 28th Air Base Group, Air Police Squadron. SSgt Jensen was the first of 111 Air/Security Police KIA/LOD. I have photos of his memorial service on base. His actions that night entailed taking on the 25 VC Sappers with only a .38 revolver and another Airman with an M-16. The VC POW later said they broke off their attack because they thought they encountered an unknown machinegun. Had they continued, after destroying several C-130 aircraft, the next bunker to have received a satchel charge contained more than twenty aircraft mechanics. SSgt Jensen was awarded the Silver Star, posthumously, after being wounded twice, before being shot in the head as he was bleeding out.

That base attack led to President Johnson's decision to send the US Marines to Da Nang (and thank God Almight he did: If any of you marines remember a K9 named Blackie (AKA: Perimeter Pig, because he would eat all the sandwiches you fed him) with a skinny USAF handler, that was me.)

Stats: USAF KIA 1, WIA 0. Aircraft Loss 6, Damaged 3. VC/NVA KIA 0, POW 1.

To read the personal stories by men who were there, and to see the photos of aircraft destroyed, see http://www.vspa.com/t_jensen-dab-toc-1965.htm for the best document base attack at Da Nang.

On a personal note, today is the 40th anniversary my tentmate, Airman James Bruce Jones, being KIA at Da Nang:

January 25
1966, 0100 hours: Da Nang - 20 Mortar Rounds.
USAF KIA 1: Jones, James B., A3C, and 6252d APS, Combat: mortars; Bronze Star w/V; Purple Heart. USAF WIA 6; RVN KIA 5, WIA 25. [Bombing Pause: 24 December 1965 - 31 January 1966]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.