VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Wed, November 13 2019, 14:45:40Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]9 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Tue, March 15 2005, 19:59:05
Author: Harry Larsen
Author Host/IP: 207-108-215-249.tukw.qwest.net / 207.108.215.249
Subject: Re: Responsibility
In reply to: Larry Lusk 's message, "Re: Responsibility" on Mon, March 07 2005, 14:16:59

Larry,

While I agree that we are responsible for our actions (and our words). I also believe that the headline-hungry media also bears a greater responsibility in what it reports.

The media that reported the general's words was only interested in headlines and disregarded context, audience, and purpose. The journalist who quoted the general also had no concern for the soldiers that may die on that account. That is criminal. That is where I'd place a "limit" on freedom of speech. Since when does the media have the "right" to report anything at all just so long as it is negative and reflects poorly on our military and our president??? I'm proud of both. That "freedom of the press" is being seriously abused in this country (there is another name for it, sedition). If you doubt it, then you aren't paying attention and aren't reading the news or watching the evening news. The "slant" is VERY obvious.

In a totalitarian society, the media would be controlled and those comments would never have been reported (or the editor would have not seen another sunrise). I'm glad we have our freedoms. I'm glad we have freedom of the press, but I despise the journalists who cannot find anything better to print than a joking general's comments spoken before an all-military audience. Like Bob Hope, was speaking a language they understood to raise their morale.

Does that journalist have the right to be such a jerk? I guess so. However, only a stinking journalist reports that ____! It's yellow journalism. And it is way too common. I don't give them any credence whatsoever.

Of course, you're free to defend the ________ journalist, and you're free to disagree with me. I did my bit to defend everyone's rights. And the above is just "my humble opinion," of course.

Semper fi,

Harry

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.