VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 08, 02:00:51am
Author: NickD
Subject: Orta is killing Us

I am one that is not happy with play of Orta. His lack of desire or an inability to get off only 7 shots is the reason we are losing these tight games. Hell the team only took 47 shots! How many games can you win when your star player is so timid. Time he wakes up or Dunne needs to wake him..Thought team would show more consistancy by now. Contrary to what some say I think Leon and Lampley are doing well as is Sowell for most part. Not sure what Bacon,Hogga,Traore,Costner and Gooding are supposed to be doing but they are struggling and need to have their roles defined by the coaching staff..IMO

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Orta is killing Us -- Insider, Saturday, December 08, 02:26:40am [1]

NickD where are you getting this from, the reason that Orta is not taking enough shots is because the little GUY #1 thinks he is Allen Iverson. And the reason why those other players u mentioned are stuggling is because the coaching staff doesnt have a solid rotation, and orta is unselfish and some not have the green light like the freshmen or better yet " Dunne's Boys".

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Orta is killing Us -- oldtimer#1, Saturday, December 08, 09:37:20am [1]

Anyone who has been to the games and/or observed practices should understand that Raul Orta does so many things well on the basketball court. Plays tough defense, rebounds, steals, helps handle against the press, dives for loose balls etc. He's also one of the few players on the team who is in constant motion when on offense. Too many others just stand around and'or dribble on the perimeter. Not even debatable Raul's contribution.

As far as Leon and Lampley. Both have been disappointing to date. Our weak links. Yet they are 1st year players and should be given some slack. Leon has the better head on his shoulders but has been struggling in all areas, especially defensively, his outside shot and in turnovers. Yet Nick is trying to play within the team and has some obvious skills. Regarding Lampley, the best way to describe him is that he is a low percentage shooter that doesn't deter him from hoisting it up. When he has time to square up his shot becomes a decent shooter but for the most part he shoots from the hip and on the run. When he drives he occassionally throughs some beautiful passes but this is a rarity ( check his assist totals for the year). Darrell does not finish well or atleast draw fouls. Needs to work on that part of his game. There is no question that Darrell has skills to be an important player on this team but if he continues to show the mindset he does, his contributions are more negative then positive.

Tough to post the above about Lampley and Leon. I want to root for them, not against them. Leon, at least is trying to understand his role. Lampley, sometimes yes, mostly no. Took a close friend of mine, an outstanding basketball player in his day, to the Seton Hall game. Within minutes of watching Darrell stated... "you almost want him to miss because if he makes one you know two or three bad shots are coming. Wants to be the man and isnt good enough to play that role." Almost a perfect description.

To be positive or at least hopeful, I noted in the Manhattan game Darrell cut down his number of shots and shot for a higher percentage. He will never be a great or deadly shooter but he can knock them down once in a while, especially when he squares up and doesn't take those ill advised shots. A player of his skills needs more assists, that should be his main contribution or why have him on the court. Think he is trying but it's tough to shake those old instincts.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Orta is killing Us -- SPC Fan, Saturday, December 08, 10:30:48am [1]

Good post oldtimer.As to Orta last night he had the quicker,bigger,very athletic Austin blanketing him on the perimeter. All the intangibles you speak of with Raul i agree with.Unselfish,dives for loose balls,plays hard defense,will mix it up inside and helps tremendously with press break situations.
As to Darryl he is trying to adjust you can see it but sometimes old habits are hard to break as you say. Leon may just not be athletic enough to break down a defense. Also i feel Leon,Lampley and Hogga are all a bit tight with the shooting.
As to insider's post who is again taking a shot at Dunne(must be one of our old manager's let go by Dunne,Coffino minions) so far Dunne's recruits look far more promising than anything John brought in. Orta was by far his finest recruit and he was handed to us by the St John's staff which saw him while recruiting a higher level player in Puerto Rico so spare me the veiled shots.John's not perfect but i see a lot of potential in his "boys" as you call them.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Orta is killing Us -- outsider, Saturday, December 08, 11:02:37am [1]

You can say whatever you want to say, but the simple fact is and you can ask the team is that Dunne favors his boys too much and doesnt give any of the other guys a chance. Also by far this has to be the weakest coaching staff in the country with the exception of john morton,he is the only coach on the bench that brings something to the table. And for people to comment on the board saying that the team did great they only lost by 3 at the buzzer I hate to break it to you that one of the boys didnt play defense, also you can look at the game however you want but in the reality of things it is still a loss.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Orta is killing Us -- peters fan, Saturday, December 08, 02:03:43pm [1]

"Orta is killing us"

outsider - ridiculous unsubstantiated statements like that
shows a lacking in credability.

Get real.

Orta is a player and the freshmen are clearly better skilled than those who don't play.

His boys will play because Dunne is the coach and Dunne runs the practice and Dunne runs the team not you.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> "outsider" has aptly named himself -- Sludge, Saturday, December 08, 02:28:37pm [1]

[ Edit | View ]

[> Let me think about this -- Peacock, Saturday, December 08, 11:36:32am [1]

Your quote "Dunne favors his boys too much and doesnt give any of the other guys a chance" Sowell and Orta get the most playing time, other than foul situitions. Traore wasn't even suited up and Gooding gets a lot of time. Now who are the ones that are not John's boys. You need to think through your criticisms before you pop off. AE as you say, still doesn't start and anyone who thinks freshman are going to come in with the polish of experiance should not be in the game. In fact this group far outshines any recruits in the last seen years with the exception of Clark.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.