VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 08, 11:05:55am
Author: Peacock Fan
Subject: Difficlt Season.

Every one of the games so far has been very tight. Margin of victory (loss) has been ten points or less. We're not capable of blowing anybody away and get a confidence-building win. By game #15 we're going to be exhausted and won't be going anywhere. Unfortunately, I think we're not going to win even ten games all season. Lack of a strong front line is doing us in.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Difficlt Season. -- Peacock, Saturday, December 08, 11:38:01am [1]

Curious to why you believe this. "we're going to be exhausted" Would not they be just as exhausted if they won.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Difficlt Season. -- Cindy Crawford, Saturday, December 08, 12:14:04pm [1]

It is clear from the tenor of a few of the posters today that they are not true Peacock supporters but rather bitter malcontents left over from the last administration.
Criticism is fair when rendered logically and in a fair minded manner as by Oldtimer,but when it is uninformed rantings of those who don't know of what they speak it should be taken for the jibberish that it is.
The shot last night was a prayer thrown up off a missed shot that had all the Peacocks crashing the boards. There was not a major defensive breakdown ,and to their credit MC made the extra pass from the baseline to the top of the key as time expired.
Secondly Peacock is correct. Are you assuming that a team expends more energy when it loses than when it wins-that's just plain idiotic.Further Dunne is distributing the minutes in his rotation far better than than they have been in recent memory.
Make no mistake about who runs the Xs and Os,Morton is a contributor and a fine one as well as an excellent recruiter,but if you'd been to any games or better yet attended any practices you'd see how much in control and how focused Dunne is.
FYI The front line has been doing better than most expected e.g.Todd has been piling up double doubles,Bacon has been playing solid D ,a Hogga and Gooding have rebounded well.If you check the stats you'll see for the season we are outrebounding our opponents.
While we haven't "blown " anyone out we've been in every game and more than held our own against two Big East foes.
Where eight games into the season ,with one close conference loss---don't be so ready and willing to bury us yet.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Are some even looking at the same team? -- Sludge, Saturday, December 08, 02:03:36pm [1]

Hard for me to grasp some of the illogical comments/observations by those who presumably have viewed some of the games. Since I have been accused on occasion of acting too judgemental I will simply defer to the appropriate and sound responses given by Cindy, SPC Fan and Oldtimer. Cindy, IMO, gives a definitive answer above.

Some continue to forget that we are attempting to blend a number of newcomers. All have strengths, as well as weaknesses that, must we remind, are representative of our level of play and ability to attract.

John has done an excellent job in bringing in some good talent and is attempting to teach as quickly as the newcomers are able to absorb.

Improved passing, meaning better ball movement and decision making, is the one area that I feel gives us the best and most immediate opportunity for growth. With defenses manning up on our deep shooters while, at the same time, collapsing on Todd in the middle, better passing should become the key offensive goal. Given these defensive sets, penetration in the middle, with the good pass, should give us better looks from the corner. Additionally, and from what I have seen, pressure on the outside and in deep, allows for curls or the opening or seam in the middle. The 12' to 15' turnarround appears available if timing and the accurate pass can be made by the guard. Orta, on occasion, seems to be the only one designed or getting the call here.

Enough from someone admittedly not well schooled in the x's and o's. Most important is to recognize we are making progress. Further gain will come if either or both Leon and Hogga can begin to make the perimeter shot, something they have proven adept at in both practice and high school. Only adding this additional weapon(s) will result in a marked increase in all parts of our offensive game.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Difficlt Season. -- peters fan, Saturday, December 08, 01:47:33pm [1]

Cindy Crawford - right on the money.

We are in every game.
With 5 freshmen in the top 8 man rotation, with 3 starting - this is a telling fact; and once Jenkins, Lampley & Hogga start jelling from outside, and this will happen, we will win the close games.
The upside of this team is clearly evident.
The quality of the recruits and the excellent coaching by all the coaches, Dunne, Morton & Anderson, is to be commended.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Difficlt Season. -- oldtimer#1, Saturday, December 08, 02:39:08pm [1]

Second the observations by all above. The freshman have shown both enthusiasm and ability. Jenkins will be a star in this league. There are holes but we can't cure all problems in one recruiting class. The coaching staff has given the Program a giant leap forward. It's not even two months since this group first came together in practice!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Difficlt Season. -- Eport, Sunday, December 09, 03:41:52pm [1]

I share the enthusiasm of most posters. I like what I've seen so far. We're light years ahead of last season.
We already have two solid recruits for next year and I know for a fact that we are looking for that illusive big man that is so hard to find. There aren't many dominant big men in the MAAC, so if we get one, we'll be in the running for the title. You can see this team getting better with every game. To date, Dunne and his staff have done a great job.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Difficlt Season. -- SPC '91, Saturday, December 08, 02:02:17pm [1]

From what I've seen this year, once this team matures, watch out! We can be scary good (dare I say, LaSalle 1989-1990 good) by the time our freshman hit their junior season. This teams performance so far this year gives me the most optimism I've had in a very long time (since our teams of 1988-1996)

[ Edit | View ]

[> Cold water. -- E++ (Pedantic), Saturday, December 08, 03:34:00pm [1]

Unfortunately Sowell will be long gone by the time "Jenkly" ( Lampkins sounded a little too feminine) is a junior and so far I don't see a replacement for him. Bacon might grow into the role ( pun intended ( Its actually a part of speech called "Zeugma")) but he might not; nobody else yet either on the team or in the next recruiting class seems likely to do the job. And, unless Dunne get a real center in this class, that player, if does arrive, will be new to the team in 2009-10 and we'll be having exactly the same conversation:"Needs time to jell and develop..."

It might just be that this team, in March, will be the best team of their careers a fact that makes these early losses hurt even more.

I just hope that John doesn't waste these kids the way that KeeKee was wasted for the lack of players around him.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Cold water. -- loyal, Saturday, December 08, 04:31:04pm [1]

The VA recruit seems like an inside banger. Of course, who knows anything about how his game translates to Division 1?

Agree the answer is not now apparent, but I take solace in the fact Dunne recruited very well, considering everything, landing Jenkins, Bacon, Lampley, Hogga, etc. He is smart and if we see the team needs rebounds the next two seasons, or it risks wasting the guard talent, Dunne sees it, too.

I acknowledge it is blind faith at this point, but, I have it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Cold water. -- jajk, Saturday, December 08, 05:00:45pm [1]

Fun post to read and right on target. I like Bacon's play and potential a lot but not sure if he can be the "big" guy. As far as getting one, I guess the negative is that it is never an easy get at our level. But on the other hand, Dunne seems to be in as a good a position as possible at this time to do it. He can sell immediate time available and being part of a great three years. By the way,I am not happy with Jenkly's play to date. I am elated ! Wish some of our posters had as much heart as Darrell. He is starting to get to the foul line on drives as so many were pining for. He still opens up the court like no other player on our team. And he is showing signs of the special,special player he will be when we run the court. Still seems to be the whipping boy of some here no matter what he does. Shot is starting to fall. And too many shots ! What are we watching or counting! Eight last night including two on fast breaks.

And more good news,Gooding is cutting way down on his unforced errors and still going to the basket. And in the big picture, we only had to watch the five minutes of the RU game and the first ten of SH to know what a solid get Hogga is for the program. I still insist on including Akeem as part of this class since he still has not played a full season of college bb . So six of eight frosh in 8 man rotation and doing just great by me. Sure we'd all like more wins but every game has been a fun watch.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Cold water. -- oldtimer#1, Saturday, December 08, 06:18:41pm [1]

jajk, out of respect for Darrell and the learning curve he is on I will not comment on your above post except to say that either you don't know as much about the game as I thought you did or you are extremely stubborn. I want to root for the young man but your unrealistic hype of a freshman who is having a difficult time is troubling.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.