VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 23, 03:01:49pm
Author: oldtimer#1
Subject: Re: jajk
In reply to: jajk 's message, "Re: jajk" on Sunday, December 23, 01:32:07pm

Jajk, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you. Let's try to straighten some things out.

First, I often enjoy your banter on the MAAC Board and your ability to take on many of the others. However, as you state, this is the SPC Board and while there have been strong disagreements in the past (see mine with Peacock) we do try to talk SPC basketball. My responses to you are not intended to be personal but do you expect that many of your statements to go unchallenged? I've said it many a time, Darrell is one of us and I want him to succeed but YOU have posted such hype and nonsense that any response is bound to appear as a knock on Darrell. I've posted many a time that it does bother me to respond because Darrell is the innocent victim here. He has said nothing.

Your latest post was absolutely rediculous. It clearly implied that Darrell is the only player who possessed certain skills to be able to get us going. Your speaking of him as the one player who could get our shooters and Sowell the was clearly a knock at Leon. Worse than that,however,was the failure to admit one of the areas where DL's game has been lacking. Quite frankly, I think most posters, including myself, are willing to give Darrell the benefit of the doubt, often calling it a learning process or difficult transition from the role he played in high school. As opposed to your hype we are willing to make legitimate excuses. However, you insisted, flying in the face of the evidence and history, that it was only Darrell (not Leon or anyone else) who could get the ball inside. The reality is that Darrell was not gathering assists or getting the ball inside but taking more shots (any missing) than a potential point guard should ever take. You were great on the MAAC Board at throwing statistic after statistic at your agitators to back your assertions. I just threw some back at you.

Rather than beat this horse to death, let me ask you to do something. Since you say that you have seen several games why don't you give us a comparative evaluation of the skills of Lampley and Leon. Let's see if you can give a fair and honest evaluation as of their play to date and potential. None of us are basketball genius' but I would love to have an honest an open debate without all the hype. I do not see it as a knock on Darrell that I feel that Leon is the better ballplayer with a much better all-around game. To repeat my analysis Leon shoots better, makes much better decisions, drives to the basket and finishes much better than Darrell. On Darrell's behalf, he is quicker (not faster), handles slightly better, can be spectacular and bring energy and the unexpected (both good and bad). Both are average to below average defenders. Finally, to answer you question about teammates I will only say, at this time, without implying anything negative about Darrell that Nick's teammates visually have a good repoire and confidence in him. It's quite obvious at the games. Perhaps Darrell will gain the same confidence but it has to be won on the floor not by posting fantasy.

Finally, SPC will only start to win when we improve our interior game (this year or next). We have enough shooters. That's why I'm happy to see Jenkins beginning to be assertive and drive to the hoop more. It is also why, in my opinion, Gooding can be extremely valuable. When he drives to the basket he opens up more possibilities than either Darrell or Nick. Not only is AG an excellent interior passer but he gets to the foul line.Looking forward to your honest evaluation. I'm rooting for both guys and moreso the team. It's a team thing, not a Darrell vs Nick thing. Actually, from what I've seen they both get along well together...but as you say there should only be one point guard.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.