VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 23, 07:25:39pm
Author: SPC Fan
Subject: Re: St. Peter's history.
In reply to: Castillo. 's message, "St. Peter's history." on Sunday, December 23, 06:14:39pm

Starting five in 1991
Jasper Walker 5-10 pg SR
Antoine Allen 6-0 2G FR
Marvin Andrews6-4 WF SR
Tony Walker 6-7 PF SR
John Connell 6-9 C SR
Starting fiive in 1995
Mike Frensley 5-10 PG JR
Randy Holmes 6-2 2g JR
Moe Segar 6-5 SF JR
Lou Arrosa 6-9 PF JR
Bas DeVoogd 7-2 C JR

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- SPC Fan, Sunday, December 23, 07:37:45pm [1]

As an aside regarding the 95 team,Jerome Davis played more minutes generally than De Voogd but he usually started and was the starter in the U Mass game..
Also Sherrod Jones got major minutes at the center spot.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- Tim Camp, Wednesday, December 26, 06:23:01pm [1]

An aside regarding the '91 team--there were multiple centers. John Connell usually started, but Kenny Mack and Scott Nesbitt also saw significant minutes until he became ineligible at mid-season.

Ted did an exceptional job mixing and matching at center. Connell was about 6-9, but he was more of a finesse player. Mack was a big, strong 6-11. And Nesbitt was about 6-7 and a really good inside player on offense.

My recollection is that a guy might play 25 minutes one night and 15 the next according to the matchups. And they always seemed to produce up to the peak of their ability,

Another interesting thing was that the first two guards off the bench were walk-ons Walter Gibson and Corey Taylor and they were both pretty good players.

That team was amazingly healthy, but there was one game that Jasper missed (sprained ankle or something) against Army and Walter started and scored in double figures.

One of my great memories from that year was a double overtime win at Loyola where the first and second overtimes were forced by buzzer beaters. SPC's winning score was right at the end of the second overtime, too.

Both teams scored over 100 points and Kevin Green and Tracy Bergan each scored over 30 points for Loyola.

Because Connell, Tony Walker, Jasper Walker and Antoine Allen had all fouled out, the Peacocks finished the game with Marvin Andrews, Kenny Mack, Walter Gibson and Corey Taylor and a fifth guy I can't recall. And despite guys playing unfamiliar roles, SPC won.

Marvin played all 50 minutes and even though he was about 6-3, he won the opening tip and both overtime tips against the Loyola center, who was 6-10 or 6-11.

Ike Kuhns, who had been a newspaperman since the 50s or early 60s, covered the game (yes, in Baltimore) for the Star-Ledger and he said it was one of the greatest games he ever saw in person.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- PoconoPhil, Wednesday, December 26, 10:18:33pm [1]

I don't remember that game but I do remember BU (coached by Rick Pitino) against SPC in the early eighties. Both squads were like 15-1 and Yanitelli was packed SRO on a weekday night(a lot of fans had to be turned away). Mark Murphy hit the winning basket with a couple of seconds left. SPC had a player whose name I forget, but he was a transfer from a JC and whenever he made a free throw he would wave "bye-bye" to the ball. He was Bob Dukiet's first "find".

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- NickD, Thursday, December 27, 05:22:57pm [1]

That transfer was Jimmy Brandon and he was broght in the year before by coach Kelly ,he was not a Dukiet recruit.. That team was in my mind one of the best in Peacocks history Cliff Anderson,Kevin Rodgers,Jim Brandon,William Brown,Tim Dooley,Bill McDevitt and Mark Murphy, As I recall they werte all either McDonald or Kelly recruits with Dukiet the coach at his best.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- PoconoPhil, Thursday, December 27, 06:31:42pm [1]

Dukiet was an odd sort of fellow. He liked to stall and shorten the game down to the last three minutes. He also scheduled as many non-D1 opponents as possible. But, if he stayed at SPC he would have won at least twenty games each year and still would be here.

If Dunne doesn't work out, SPC should try to get Dukiet back. I feel that he would have a winning record his first year back.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- loyal, Thursday, December 27, 12:13:04am [1]

Jim Brandon, signed in late August from Walla Walla JC, was the go-to player on Dukiet's breakout team of '79-80.

That '80 team represented the best coaching job in SPC history.....decent talent in Brown, Murphy, Anderson and Brandon....but the sum was way greater than the parts.

Following the '80 season and leveraging it's success, SPC had verbal commitmets from both Richie Anderson (who later starred at UNLV (courtesy of Rich Ganulin, who left Dukiet's staff to join Tark at UNLV) and a 6'9" player from Freehold who wound up starring for Cheney at Temple. Neither landed at SPC....had they done so, SPC would have won a few MAAC's in the early 80's and possibly become the Northern NJ entry into the Big East....

Ifa, woulda, coulda.....if we are patient, I think Dunne can get us to a top level MAAC team...but as a prior poster mentioned....that will happen over 2 or 3 recruiting classes....so patience is a virtue for now.

Enough of a stroll down memory lane. Let's beat Fairfield Friday.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- SPC Fan, Thursday, December 27, 12:43:17am [1]

The player you refer to who played for Temple after giving us a verbal was Granger Hall out of Clayton High School in Glassboro area. Actually recruited there by Don Casey the coach at the time. Chaney replaced Casey.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- PoconoPhil, Thursday, December 27, 10:40:23am [1]

What a stroll?!? We go from a statement that SPC could have been in the Big East to: Let's beat Fairfield! So that's where the program has progressed to: Let's beat Fairfield! FAIRFIELD!

What're you guys going to say about the Providence game: Let's keep the margin of loss within twenty-five?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- Peacock, Thursday, December 27, 10:57:04am [1]

Our history would have nothing to do with getting into the Big East. Few realize it, but most of our administrations never wanted that type of opportunity. Hell, even Seton Hall was not wanted, but only got in because Rutgers turned it down.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: St. Peter's history. -- college BB fan, Thursday, December 27, 02:49:39pm [1]

Wrong! Ru was Never even considered. The ONLY reason that SHU got in (as an after thought)was : HOLY CROSS turned down the Big East. ASK DAVE G.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> BS, Rutgers was always considered superior to SHU -- Peacock, Thursday, December 27, 03:17:37pm [1]

HC had nothing to do with it. It was a geographic necessity for a NJ team and SHU was a garbage program at the time versus Rutgers. Gavit never was known to tell the truth anyway if it reflected bad on the BE.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: BS, Rutgers was always considered superior to SHU -- Fraedo, Sunday, December 30, 11:14:08am [1]

Garbage program? At least Seton Hall had a gym with parking.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.