VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 31, 12:12:09pm
Author: oldtimer#1
Subject: Post-script
In reply to: Peacock 's message, "You also need to ask yourself some serious questions?" on Saturday, December 29, 08:02:25pm

Think we are all basically saying the same thing i.e. plenty of blame to go around. A coach should take some of the credit for wins but also blame for losses. Both Sludge and Peacock made that quite clear.

Some clarification on the timeouts. In the last six plus minutes 6 timeouts were called. Two media timeouts, two by SPC and two by FFD. We had a nine point lead AND the ball with 3:50 remaining. Dunne, at that point called a TO. This was followed at 3:35 with a media TO - plenty of time to give instruction which is obviously what Dunne did.

Now one can debate what that instruction was, but we do not know since we were not in the huddle. If one is to criticize Dunne on this matter it has to be either on the instructions given ( I do not) or whom he choose to put on the floor (see my prior comments) not his failure to call TO's.

The fact is that not all of our shots were rushed from that point on. Lampley, I believe, missed one with twenty seconds taken off the clock. The most obvious rushed shot was that of Jenkins who fired one up with only 10 ticks off the clock following a FFD TO (2:00-1:50). Didn't notice Dunne but Morton, who has been mentoring Jenkins jumped almost to Wesley and was clearly upset. Don't even want to come down on Wesley here, shit happens. He is an outstanding team player who made a mistake. Plenty of that to go around.

Posted this only to get our facts straight. I like Dunne as a coach. Reports that I have is that he is a teacher in practice. Thus I would tend to side with Sludge's viewpoint that most of the problems are with the time available to infuse a lot of information, freshman adjustments, and some players who are slow adapters. I would also point out that while this was a good recruiting class, it has become obvious that there is only one immediate impact player, the rest are projects. The hype exceeded the reality. As posted before, a complete turnaround does not happen with one recruiting class. That said, this team should be doing better than it's performance to date! Everyone shares in that blame.

P.S. Peacock, with respect. Your characterization of Leon and Lampley in the FFl game is a biased as you claim others to be. I agree and stated that Leon IMO did not play as well as in previous games. However, you analysis and criticism of Leon failed to mention that he did have two beautiful penetration drives, one of which brought the crowd to his feet. Lampley, you fail to state threw several penetration passes away and was lucky enough to fight for a loose ball on his key penetration miss and get the ball to Leon for what, at the time, looked like the game winner. If you are going to analyze, be fair and don't omit things not favorable to your analysis.

Finally, you are entitled to your opinion about Lampley vs Leon penetration. However, by your own admission you have only been to three games. How then can you form an opinion? In the last three or four games prior to FFD Leon's drives to the basket have bordered on outstanding, some of which were key. In the Manhattan game need I remind you that his drive and finish tied the scoure with 22 sec. remaining and prior to that he fed Jenkins for a three. How is that for creating. When has Lampley done that? Lampley's attempt at penetration in the last several minutes of the FFD game was almost as poor as Leon's. Need I remind you that he was 0-3 in crunch time. Given his season shooting percentage where does he deserve to take three shots or even IMO be on the floor? I took pains not to criticize Lampley in this game but if you are going to criticize Leon be fair. He did hit what looked, at the time, like the game winning basket. Not a good game by any means but Lampley was no bargain either. Happy New Yesar to all!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> [> [> You need to be accurate. -- Peacock, Monday, December 31, 02:22:07pm [1]

The comment "was lucky enough to fight for a loose ball on his key penetration miss" was indeed a penetration but a missed three that he went into recover after his miss. So I don't either one of us should try to play instant recall.

The comments on Leon were more to show his performance when it counted in OT. It was crunch time. I don't want compare either one, it is just this commentary that just loves to take the kids to task and not the staff. In fact Jenkins is constantly given a pass other than maybe two great games and I wonder which of us is really biased.

My questions were,

Is the talent there? or

Is the coaching up to snuff?

From this you have now downgraded our talent. I am just not ready to do this.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Needs to read -- Peacock, Monday, December 31, 02:23:21pm [1]

was indeed not a penetration

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: You need to be accurate. -- oldtimer#1, Monday, December 31, 02:33:23pm [1]

Please don't put words in my mouth. With regard to talent I stated that we have to date one impact player, the rest are projects. Do you disagree? I also stated that some of our players were overhyped by one particular poster do you disagree?

Saying that we have several projects does not translate into saying that we did not recruit talent. Almost all our recruits are legitimate DI players with several having outstanding potential. Again, do you disagree?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: You need to be accurate. -- Peacock, Monday, December 31, 02:51:02pm [1]

No comment on the Lampley misquote. Bottom line I haven't seen an impact player as yet. Yes I have seen some that are specific fan favorites. While I think jajk does lend to overhype to the point of stupidty, he did it only on two players, Lampley and Jenkins. It would appear you have agreed on one of the players.

By the way great first half by Leon at Providence. In the end I expect five new players to be of value and fully expect Bacon to be one of them also.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: You need to be accurate. -- oldtimer#1, Monday, December 31, 03:27:38pm [1]

We agree!

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.