VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 22, 10:21:49pm
Author: Peacock
Subject: Abuse

It appears we have a highly educated retard now attacking the forum. Right now I have set the forum to moderated and any post will have to wait until I see if it is not one of the melodious post of the past night.

I will set this board to password protected and therefore if you want to post you will need to send through the contact admin link at the bottom of the board an email with your handle and your password (you chose your own password). So those who wish to have some semblance of posting without the abuse of the past night, please send me that information. After I have recieved at least ten, I will take the board off moderation and your posts will appear immediately. As a small benifit I will remove the need to enter that silly test after each post.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Abuse -- SPC78, Monday, March 23, 03:16:27pm [1]

I would ask you please not use the word 'retard'. Having a family member who is Down's Syndrome, I try to ask well educated and intentioned people like yourself to avoid using the word in that manner. Thank You

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Abuse -- guns of navarrone, Monday, March 23, 07:02:35pm [1]

I also request you substitute the word retard for higly educated person who also suffers from down syndrome.

is that better SPC78?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Abuse -- Sludge, Monday, March 23, 07:35:26pm [1]

Enough of the correctness crap. I'm even inclined to defend my Prez Barry for his comments on the Leno Show.

Heck, even some of my best friends are retards.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Abuse -- jimsouls, Monday, March 23, 08:29:47pm [1]

Please tell me you folks aren't grads of St. Peter's (or for that matter, adults).
Ah, sports fans. No brains.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Time Out !!!!!!!!!! -- Gray Poll, Monday, March 23, 07:50:53pm [1]

Raising a Down's Syndrome child is a lifetime commitment of love and sacrifice. Joking about it in any way, shape or form is across the line.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Time Out !!!!!!!!!! -- Peacock, Monday, March 23, 08:06:02pm [1]

I think the issue is really intent. If you believe the intent was to make fun, then you are reading well beyond what is written. People who practice Political Correctness in fact make the problems for themselves.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I'm dissappointed -- Gray Poll, Monday, March 23, 08:30:31pm [1]

People who mock "political correctness" have never had to comfort a child who's been beaten up because he's a "retard".

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Time Out !!!!!!!!!! -- Sludge, Tuesday, March 24, 12:29:09am [1]

Judge a person by what you find in their heart and by their deeds. Not what one wishes to take away, from what in large measure, is an irreverent sport's board.

Look for what a person does when no one is watching, not from a Funk & Wagnall, or in today's world, a teleprompter (sic).

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Abuse -- NickD, Monday, March 23, 07:58:10pm [1]

What???

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Abuse -- spcbbfan, Monday, March 23, 09:44:03pm [1]

I agree Peacock. Drop this political crapness stuff; there was no malicious intent. Some people are just too sensitive. Most all of us respect the dignity of the human species, at least I do.

The culprit here is that jerk who started it all with his/her abusive bigoted statements.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Abuse -- SPC Fan, Monday, March 23, 11:28:26pm [1]

Why dont we get back to talking basketball instead of political correctness. Peacock was taken out of context anyone can see that who wants to be fair.
As an aside i have a niece with CP multiple physical and mental disabilities so i fully understand seeing how her parents have dealt with this her entire life what a full time job raising a special needs child is SPC78.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Abuse -- Max (Mad), Monday, March 30, 05:45:38pm [1]

It's being taken way out of context.

The concepts of "political correctness" and "bad words" and "offensive language" are completely worthless. There are nothing wrong with words themselves, it is the CONTEXT that counts.

What does the word "retard" mean? It's an abbreviated term referring to someone who is mentally handicapped or mentally retarded. Is there anything negative about that definition in and of itself? NOPE. IT'S JUST AN ABBREVIATION THAT PEOPLE MADE UP. CONTEXT.

For example, in this case Peacock used the term in a slang sense to refer to an idiotic person who was attacking the forum. He OBVIOUSLY is not talking shit about the mentally retarded. He's talking shit about the guy who messed with the forum. So whether or not you have a mentally retarded family member or whatever is not relevant, because the comment WAS NOT directed at you or your family.

You're reading way too deep into into it.

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.