VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]
Subject: Re: A Love Of Your Own

Author:
Hamish Stuart (Thanks)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:12:11 08/31/15 Mon
In reply to: Paul Bailey 's message, "A Love Of Your Own" on 16:17:20 08/29/15 Sat

Thank you Paul,
It's a very simple song and one which is very special to me in terms of it's content and the spontaneous nature of it's creation. Ned Doheny and myself were sitting round his kitchen table with a couple of guitars, just playing with no intention of writing a song. I played the first couple of chords and Ned sang that first couplet off the top of his head and the song was done in twenty minutes, half an hour tops. The sooner you give, the sooner you get to have---etc!
We didn't try to write anything again for a few years as we were just pals hanging out whenever my travels took me to LA.
There's something magical about that one. I've heard songwriters say all kinds of things about songs and attribute the fruits of their labours to other forces. A fave is "it just came through me, I'm just a channel" like there's some higher power at work and they've been chosen. I find that posture quite arrogant. There's a great quote of Bill Evans in the creation of music "truth and beauty, is what matters" maybe we got some of that. Honest thought expressed simply in a musical way. I'm still shocked and gratified that something that we created so quickly, almost without thinking still resonates.
Best,
Hamish

>A song of sincerity, simplicity, and hope. And a song
>of substance. Well played and well sung. It stays
>with you, if you know what I mean. It sticks to the
>bone. "The sooner you give the sooner you're gonna
>get" was, is, and will remain deep. Thank you, Hamish.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.