VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]
Subject: A Love Of Your Own

Author:
Margaret Fex (Stoked! (I.e., enthusiastic!))
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:34:57 07/30/16 Sat

Hello Hamish!

I just learned that "A Love Of Your Own" was written by you and was surprised that it came together so quickly - you related it took about 10 minutes! It is one of my favorite songs of all time, one that touches me viscerally and emotionally every time I hear it. And when I say "one of my favorite songs", I don't mean one of my favorite AWB songs - I mean one of my favorite songs, by anybody, period. It has a soaring, soul-rending quality to it in terms of how it makes me feel. Not to mention the exceptional musicianship of each player coming together to create that sound and those feelings. Thanks for giving it to the world.
It is part of the soundtrack of my life.

I unfortunately was not blessed with musical talent and never learned how to play any instrument, but I do have a real appreciation for music, and for those who have the gift and share it with others. I would imagine that being able to hear something in your head and also being able to then render it repeatable and shareable through guitar, piano, voice, etc., must be a liberating creative process, and one I wish I had also. (I often have melodies or riffs in my head, that I wake up with, or that just hit me at random times, but I have no way to scratch them out of my brain and onto a keyboard, and can't even hum them most of the time.) But I devoutly wish that I could. I'm just glad that there are people like you, though, who can create, conceptualize and transmit such soaring, deep, tender, and very real, feelings through the beauty of music, and who are willing to share it with others. Thank you for it. And it is grand that you are able to earn a living through it.
"Find something you love to do that you can be paid for, and you'll never work a day in your life" is something I've heard said, and that is not to say that the life of a musician, esp. one on a grueling tour schedule, or in the process of trying to put a marketable album together, while dealing with all the pressures of record company execs and their middle-management underlings, is in any way a day at the beach. But it must be truly wonderful, liberating and joyful to sit down with other musical friends and just jam together. Maybe in heaven I'll be able to do that, too - it has always been something I have longed for, to participate in making music with others. I can only imagine it as a beautiful feeling, what it must be like to start playing something of your own, and another musician you are with suddenly just "gets it" and you are off, grooving together, on the same wavelength literally and figuratively!

Well, anyway, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate "A Love Of Your Own" and also "Queen Of My Soul" which I think expresses beautifully your own feelings of the joy music has brought to your own life, and the happiness you feel in sharing it with others.

With my best wishes, admiration and deep respect,

Margaret Fex
San Mateo, CA, USA

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.