VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Fri, January 18 2019, 11:14:26
Author: Real Griff Fan (Just being honest)
Subject: Ungrateful Fan Base

Has anyone went back and checked the history of Canisius Men's Basketball since 1982?   According to the Wikipedia website that can be accessed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Atlantic_Athletic_Conference#Men's_basketball

Canisius has won the league twice, and one of those two times was with your current Head Coach Reggie Witherspoon.  Not sure why everyone is is up in arms.  Team had an incredibly tough non-conference schedule, and has been competitive in the conference to date.   What an ungrateful fan base... How about stepping up and using that energy to financially contribute to the program.  Buffalo Arena and resources > Canisius Gym and resources.  Have even heard that the entire team did not get rings after winning the second conference championship in recent program history. Thoughts?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Fans Have A What Have You Done For Me Lately Attitude -- NUSuperfan, Fri, January 18 2019, 12:54:35

In this instant gratification era, fans want their teams to win and keep winning. Reggie's not a bad coach. Its hard to win at this level constantly and consistently. There is so much parity among the MAAC programs that the bottom dweller can beat the top dog, especially when you least expect it. Niagara is another good example. A couple of weeks ago, they looked to be real contenders, now they don't even look to be pretenders. They beat Bona, Pitt and Wyoming and now they couldn't even beat Schmuck State ! Hold on, its going to be a crazy finish. Who the hell knows who's gonna win the MAAC.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Ungrateful Fan Base -- CNY GRIFF, Fri, January 18 2019, 13:38:52

I Need to have your rumor about the rings verified . If this is true, I find it hard to believe there wasn’t an effort from the school to raise whatever additional funds were needed. Many of us have pledged $$$$ each year to the b-ball program through Coaches Circle and Blue & Gold Fund. I think most of us are disappointed because there were such high expectations for this group based on last year. No one that I know of has given up on this team, just disappointed so far.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Ungrateful Fan Base -- Hmmm, Fri, January 18 2019, 14:19:34

We didn’t win the conference championship. We tied for most regular season wins and lost in the first round of the only games that matter.

Then embarrassingly hung a banner for it and are woefully underperforming this year.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Ungrateful Fan Base -- BBD, Fri, January 18 2019, 21:39:43

I agree with Real Griff Fan. I plan on supporting the Griff's every home game. I think the Griffs could of been 10-7 right now, if not for some unexpected, sub par shooting and rebounding not to mention turnovers :(, in games they basically gave away. I'm not saying 10-7 is a great record, but it was a tough OOC schedule. But that is in the past, can't change that. Can only move forward. Get those issues under control, which seems to be happening. String together some wins and go from there. This team has the potential to win the MAAC if they perform the way we know they can. I guess that's what makes is so frustrating as a fan, when they squander leads. Beat Quinnipiac and keep it going the right direction. Go Griff's!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Ungrateful Fan Base -- Agreed with you, Sat, January 19 2019, 7:42:47

I agree with you on this one. We had great year last year winning the MAAC and are currently in 4th place and its early in the season so we still have a chance to improve. Reggie is known for 2 things including great player development, great defense, and strong technical knowledge of X's and O's. Look at his track record of player development and you will see strong improvement as players learn and get accustomed to his system. Just because the new guys aren't all Americans does not mean they will not be very good payers during their career. I expect gradual improvements and the player to be solid contributors by their junior year. That is called good coaching and excellent player development. Reggie is also know for his emphasis on defense. Watch how the team improves and excels in this area. They always give great effort on the defensive side of the ball. Some people get frustrated with our offense and substitutions. Reggie uses the substitutions as learning experience for the players. He knows what they are supposed to do and when they don't apply the things he is teaching and emphasizing they get replaced often for long stretches but this leads to improvement in the long run during the season. The offense uses some advance techniques that sometimes take a while to learn. Again I expect continued improvement in this area and am confident we are headed in the right directions with our young team that are still learning the finer points of the offense and defensive plays.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Ungrateful Fan Base -- Griff Man, Sat, January 19 2019, 13:37:33

That is all well and good. But Reggie and his assistants better start earning their paychecks in recruiting, or there won’t be any decent players to “develop”. Let’s not get carried away with the rose colored glasses. Not being negative. Just realistic. Go Griffs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Ungrateful Fan Base -- Franklin, Tue, January 22 2019, 5:51:00

I take it all of Reggie's close friends are done writing on this thread? Or are there any more roses to be thrown his way?

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.