VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Mon, April 08 2019, 8:55:43
Author: CNY GRIFF
Subject: Re: School Spirit
In reply to: CanMan 's message, "School Spirit" on Sun, April 07 2019, 12:42:09

In response to CanMan:
Since John Hurley has been President, the Office of Alumni Engagement has steadily been de-funded. They are down to a bare bones staff, and most of their effort and energy is put into on campus events ( I.e. Sports Hall of Fame, Annual Reunion, DiGamma Dinner, Regents Scholarship Dinner, etc. ). There are very few college sponsored events for alumni outside of Buffalo. I agree with you, treating alumni like they don’t exist has hurt fundraising. I’m sure the donors who give $20,000. or more a year are treated well.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: School Spirit -- CNY GRIFF, Mon, April 08 2019, 9:01:02

CanMan, I’m curious. Are you a former student athlete? The reason I ask is that it’s my theory that the school, specifically the athletic department, has done nothing to re-engage former student athletes.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: School Spirit -- Tanner, Tue, April 09 2019, 4:10:36

Recently over 80 alums attended a terrific Mass and reception in Naples Florida. John Hurley and Bill Maher spoke. The local alumni group is doing a great job. We got together for the Griffs Monmouth game (about 15 attended) Maybe you should organize like they do. My daughter is President of the Michigan State University Buffalo Club. It is all local, led by Buffalonians. With or without MSU staff they blaze on with events. It isn’t fair to think the development folks or the administration be blamed for alumni disconnect. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: School Spirit -- BfloGriff, Wed, April 10 2019, 13:07:19

So, once upon a time there was an organization called the "Canisius College Cage Club", but it seems to have disappeared. Sort of like alumni, student and public support for the men's basketball program. It arranged events like several luncheons during the the season, post game gatherings at various establishments, the post-season banquet (was there one this year?), and more. Certain coaches even entertained this enthusiastic band at their homes from time to time. What happened? Is there a good reason this can't be brought back? Any volunteers?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: School Spirit -- It’s called the Coaches Circle, Wed, April 10 2019, 23:32:37

Give Dennis Misko a call he would be glad to add you to the list.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: School Spirit -- alum, Thu, April 11 2019, 4:03:12

Parrotta took it in house and it effectively died.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Ist day of signing period -- GoldenGriff32, Thu, April 11 2019, 11:44:57

Have a feeling we will be waiting a long time for some news about some signings. Maybe we will offer a 8th grader a scholarship like we did a couple of years ago.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: School Spirit -- Cager, Thu, April 11 2019, 8:07:01

You're right. For some reason the Cage Club disappeared. The occasional luncheons during the course of the season were well attended, and it gave alums and friends a chance to talk Griff basketball, and get information about what was happening with the program i.e. recruiting,scheduling etc. This has been missing for several years now, and I think doing away with the Club was a big mistake. As far as an end of year get together is concerned, I would imagine this could occur once the recruiting period is completed. I think last year's party was sometime in May. Go Griffs!!

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.