VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Fri, April 12 2019, 11:26:01
Author: Franklin
Subject: Re: Cage Club
In reply to: Griff 's message, "Cage Club" on Thu, April 11 2019, 15:49:00

Yes, THANK YOU Griff for running this board and your past work with the Cage Club. The Cage Club I enjoyed from Macarchuk to MacDonald was a fun gathering of diehard fans and the friends they would bring to games. After they converted the upstairs game-day gathering room we had for a short while to workout space, the Club was given a classrooom in the basement of the KAC that we all bitched about cuz it was so small. A few devoted Club officers & their wives would pick up a few cases of beer and some pretzels and folks donated a $1 or $2 per beer before tipoff, at halftime and/or after the game . Coaches almost always made a post game appearance, had a beer (don't believe Belein had one very often, if at all. But he still showed up), and talked about the game just played, refs, recruiting, scheduling, etc. Each session was pretty damn impressive...like a "town hall" meeting. Any funds that were left over from the beer & pretzels was turned over to the head coach. This lasted roughly 20 years. Man, I miss that room and those nights talking Griffs basketball with fellow alumni & fans. Even as the Blue & Gold Club arrived to benefit all sports at CC, the Cage Club was still a designated program to support men's basketball.

Besides the game day room, we had organized road trips (even if it was one van), well attended luncheons and first class year-end banquets in classy restaurants.

Then Parrotta arrived along with something called the "Coaches Cirle." I am sure the Coaches Circle has invested heavily into the program, but it's members and what they do has nothing to do with what the Cage Club did. Sure the Cage Club its share of larger donors, but it also had a grass roots group of $25 and $50 guys who were rabid fans of the Griffs. I once saw a list of Coaches Circle members and remember thinking "I don't know these guys."

So now we appear to have an aging fan base with little student support and a coaching staff that couldn't possibly be further disconnected with its fan base. Good times.

I wonder if anyone in the school's administration is paying attention. How do we build up our fan base, make attending games fun? This past season was draining and depressing. The atmosphere around the program leaves a lot to be desired. Simply rooting against UB's recent success isn't really much fun. Oh, well. Too bad Parrotta didn't offer the Cage Club guys a break on $200 suits. I might have taken him up.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: Cage Club -- Cager, Sat, April 13 2019, 8:47:38

I for one miss the Cage Club luncheons etc., but on a positive note I think having the pre game buffet, and the availability of beer and wine at the buffet, and at half time is really great, and why more fans don't participate is a mystery. I know there were several games this past season where the team let wins slip away, but to say the season was depressing is nonsense. I'm hoping RW lands a couple of guys who can flat out play in the next few weeks, and if that happens The Griffs could be at the top of the conference again next year. I'm excited, and Go Griffs!!!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Cage Club -- GoldenGriff32, Mon, April 15 2019, 4:29:44

I completely agree with Franklin. We would get ist hand knowledge about the program. I remember 1 time hearing Nick on the radio talking about how great this player was and how he scares him. Asked Nick about him at the Cage Club room and Nick tells me how much that player sucks. Before the Bona scandal came out, Mike Mcdonald knew about it and knew not to recruit Terrell. The Den is really nice but nothing will ever replace the CC room.The Den should be open after, to talk about the game,and have a beer. A coach should come down and talk about it and answer questions.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.