VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Mon, December 30 2019, 9:13:57
Author: Griff
Subject: Great Effort Versus Pitt

I'm not one for moral victories but that was a great effort this afternoon. A few more breaks and they had a shot at beating a pretty good ACC team. That type of effort all season and they can definitely contend for a MAAC title.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Griffer, Mon, December 30 2019, 9:37:38

Very encouraging to see Jalanni White engaged in the game. He hustled, went to the basket offensively, and fought for rebounds. Maybe he is out of his stupor. What has happened to Scott Hitchon since his breakout game? Virtually invisible again today. Great effort overall from the Griffs. Got to take a lot better care of the ball though.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Griff Man, Mon, December 30 2019, 12:46:02

Pretty hard to beat a MACC team committing 21 turnovers, let alone a talented ACC team on the road. Reggie stated on the pregame interview that the team so far has poor ANTICIPATION on the court. I saw countless examples of just that in the game. Lazy passes intercepted for fast break layups. Attempted cross court passes ,with little chance of success ,intercepted easily. Passes into a crowd. In the first 8 minutes of the second half, they had 9 turnovers!!! At the time, they had a senior and 3 juniors on the court. Anyone wonder why they lost? Those are lost points when you are shooting 50 per cent from the field. Got to clean that up.Go Griffs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Hmmm, Mon, December 30 2019, 13:55:39

Actually Hitchon had a decent game other then a bad shooting game. Without him out there Pitt would of had a lot more points. Where are the White haters today hmm. Another solid game from White. I'm actually glad that Hitchon doesn't seem too concerned with his personal points. That's when guys just start firing up shots to up their average. Usually at the teams expense, resulting in a loss. Or is being a team player more important then getting as many points as possible each game. They just lost a couple guys that were more concerned with personal stats than wins. Things are looking good for MAAC play. Beat Manhattan!! Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Hmm, Mon, December 30 2019, 15:36:01

Maybe look at the box score from the only game since the Buffalo game, it was at Siena. Some people want to be negative I guess. Hitchon was second in team scoring last game with 15 points 3 rebs, 5 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl. Third in scoring last game was Harried with 8pts, 4th Johnson with 7pts. Agreed Hitchon lacked the scoring this game but to say he has been invisible since Buffalo is asinine. What I meant earlier when I said Pitt would of had a lot more points. I don't think the Griffs would of covered the 14.5 pts spread without Hitchon today. Not that Pitt would necessarily of scored 7,8,9,10 more points. Just the game wouldn't of been as close as it was, IMO. Turnovers killed them today. Beat Manhattan! Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Another winnable game., Mon, December 30 2019, 16:19:27

I hope we can transfer all of these learnings with wins in the MAAC.

Tough to keep losing games when it’s right their for the taking. You can’t miss key free throws and keep turning the ball over.

https://gogriffs.com/news/2019/12/30/mens-basketball-pushes-pitt-falls-87-79.aspx

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- MGE, Mon, December 30 2019, 9:56:17

Agree, they got it down to 2. Need to make those free throws at those key moments of the game. Let’s get ready for Manhattan and start 2020 with a win. Go Griffs and Happy New Year to everyone.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Cager, Mon, December 30 2019, 12:26:37

I was pleased that the Griffs were competitive in this one. Too many unforced turnovers, and getting out muscled decided the game. Got to believe this team will do well in MAAC competition however, but White, Fritz, and Hitchon will have play at their best every time out. Malek, and Majesty can't do it alone. Does anyone know what's going on with Henderson, and Rautins? Looking forward to the New year with the Jaspers coming to town. Go Griffs!!!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- WNY Griff, Tue, December 31 2019, 11:28:10

Henderson is a big loss. He is a proven player when healthy. Who knows about Rautins. He has barely played to date. Even when healthy he has not gotten off the bench.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Griffsfan, Mon, December 30 2019, 13:43:55

What's the status of Jordan Henderson and Sam Rautins?
How long are these players expected to be out?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Both are injured., Mon, December 30 2019, 19:13:18

Both are working through their injuries. We need them, good players that would add depth & points.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Old Griff Fan, Mon, December 30 2019, 19:36:03

Sam supposedly has a hamstring injury but could be other issues and Jordan has the worst type of meniscus tear you can have from what I heard. Knee keeps swelling up and painful. Hopefully he can come back this year. During preseason workout heard he was unstoppable. Then torn his meniscus.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Promising Effort, Mon, December 30 2019, 15:06:01

If not for a couple of mistakes, the Griffs could have easily upset an ACC school at home (and one that has an amazing home record at that).

Loved the effort on the boards, White was fantastic. I love seeing the ball movement, and attacking the zone defense. This feels like a much better team effort than against Siena.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- L83Griff, Mon, December 30 2019, 18:18:59

I think the talent is there this year, Malik is running a tight ship especially with so many new players. So Kudos to the staff on recruiting...

Where they are losing it is coaching, we aren’t getting out worked, we are getting out coached. The lineups are all over the board, timeouts aren’t being utilized correctly, they are coming out at halftime flat every game, etc.

Like the first posted, I am not looking for moral victories. We’ve moved on from McDonald and Parotta, Baron got us wins, Reggie is peppering in wins in this terrible conference, it’s time for championships. Anything less than top 3 and playing in the MAAC championship game should be considered a failure.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Our hope as well., Tue, December 31 2019, 13:57:19

Let’s get a win on Friday. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Great Effort Versus Pitt -- Texas Griff, Tue, December 31 2019, 3:24:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jxgTYxWVRY

Reggie's postgame video.

It seems to me that several of our guys are new to the team, and to playing together. That plus assorted injuries will
get better with time. That is my hope.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.