VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, January 05 2020, 15:22:07
Author: Griff
Subject: Terrible Loss

Just an awful game and horrendous performance today. I honestly don't have the energy nor do I have the interest any longer to expound. Totally disgusted.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- Old Griff Fan, Sun, January 05 2020, 15:32:35

How can the school justify spending the money on a program that only draws 800 fans to a game,and gets very little support from it's students.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- CNY GRIFF, Sun, January 05 2020, 15:39:48

I was at Friday’s game. Left there disgusted. After the last few games, I have no inclination to make the five hour round trip to see another shit show.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- PFM, Sun, January 05 2020, 16:06:56

If it is a money problem, I would rather we competed in five (or four, or three or two) sports rather than ten if we could just win in the five.

If it is a coaching problem then let's find the best coach out there.

If it is a facilities problem then let's commit to renovate or build a new ones.

If it is administrative leadership let's find new leadership.

IF YOUR GOING TO PLAY THE GAME THEN LET'S PLAY TO WIN OR NOT PLAY AT ALL!!

Attendance tells you all you need to know.

I don't know about you guys but I don't think it helps the College or its' reputation being a DII team pretending to be DI.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Terrible Loss -- Griff72, Mon, January 06 2020, 12:26:53

Agree with analysis put forth by PFM whoever that might be, not sure what solution is or if there is one, but team is badly broken, there will be sparse attendance at future games, students are totally uninterested, we are not bringing in any new fans , we have totally lost our prior position in Buffalo sports, so it appears unless dramatic changes are made certainly involving more funding than we might as well call it quits in division 1, would be interested in what the analysis is as to what participation in division 1 is worth to college in attracting students at this point, CAN'T BELIEVE I'M AT THIS POINT BUT NOT SURE WHAT THE LIGHT IS AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL AT THIS POINT!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- Also..., Sun, January 05 2020, 16:30:06

Can we burn the grey jerseys? I know the team likes them. If they were winning, they could wear brown and purple jerseys that say NY State Griffs, and I'd get behind that. But when you're not winning, you don't get to wear those awful, off-brand, jinx-magnet uniforms.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- A-O, Sun, January 05 2020, 17:25:49

I have been a season ticket holder for 22 years. These games are miserable to watch. If Witherspoon’s contract is extended, this will be the last year.

Enough is enough.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- yogi, Sun, January 05 2020, 17:57:29

Could not agree more. Embarassing performance in every way. Almost unwatchable. There has to be a major problem with the coaching from top to bottom. We need a new coaching staff. I don’t want to go anymore this year. Griff fans deserve so much more. Go Griffs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- Franklin, Sun, January 05 2020, 18:00:22

Well said, Griff.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- Griffer, Mon, January 06 2020, 4:04:47

I have been a loyal Griffs fan for many years and have had season tickets for 20 years. The game yesterday was probably the worst of all time.A throng of 751 fans had to sit through a debacle on the court. Terrible shooting. Our players just watching errant shots go up with no interest in fighting for rebounds. Players losing sight of where they were on the court.Receiving passes when out of bounds. Our endless outside weave with no direction to free up a decent shot.Dropping passes out of bounds when a dunk or uncontested layup was there for the taking. On and on. This team has been in free fall for weeks. I am totally convinced that coaching is the problem. Judging from the body language of our players, they may have lost this team. Our already poor crowds are about to get even smaller with this product on the court. Go Griffs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- GoldenGriff32, Mon, January 06 2020, 4:11:25

1 of the many things that happened during the Tommy P years was, that going to the games felt like an obligation not a source of entertainment.I'm starting to feel the same way. Except for the Niagara games what game is going to get you excited to go to. When Baron was here, every game was something to look forward to. If it wasn't for the many friends that I sit with, I would maybe say screw it and stay home. This is what Reggie and his team has done to me.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- L82Griff, Mon, January 06 2020, 6:00:23

I’ve been saying it since Season 1 and it has become more relevant than ever...the high ball screen offense we run is complete garbage.

People on here tried to tell me I was wrong, but argue now! See the thing is the talent was there previously to bail us out...the safety blanket of talent is no longer there.

The high ball screen we run doesn’t account for a zone, which every single team has figured out. The main difference this year is we don’t have Reese, Molson, or Crump bailing us out with an improvised play/shot.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- Griffs Fan 12 (Angry), Mon, January 06 2020, 10:44:29

I don’t understand why Reggie is still here. He’s an awful coach despite being 4 games above .500 overall in his 4 years. Whether you liked Baron or not the games were fun, entertaining and we had 10x better crowds then what we get now. Baron would go to the dorms and try and get students to come. Witherspoon does nothing. Multiple times he’s failed to send players for postgame autographs for kids these past 2 seasons. He doesn’t care. He’s a benefit of Barons recruiting and it shows. Malik and Crump were Baron recruits. Molson knew Crump because of Baron. Who has Witherspoon recruited? We run same motion offense and jack up 3’s when we can shoot them and he makes no adjustments. Can him and hire a real coach that will win us a MAAC title in a weak league as is.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> No argument. -- Time will tell., Mon, January 06 2020, 17:00:52

We keep hoping for change but nothing is changing. Baron had us moving forward.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Terrible Loss -- BBD, Mon, January 06 2020, 17:52:26

Definitely in a slump right now. When emotional it's hard to remember that the griffs could of won 4 of the 5 last games, just as easily as they lost them. They have all been close games. I am also frustrated and disappointed but it has to get better. It can't get much worse, I hope. If they were getting blown away that is a different animal all together, but they aren't. Hopefully the next 2 games will have more positive things to talk about. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Terrible Loss -- D, Tue, January 07 2020, 6:53:37

Actually, Crumpton was a TP recruit.
Committed to TP his Jr year of HS.
Stayed committed to Canisius when TP was fired and JB hired.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- Linwood Larry, Tue, January 07 2020, 3:31:51

If RW has lost the team and he's not the motivator that every coach needs to be - let alone his lack of X's and O's skills - then he needs to go. Love the positive comments about Baron. I never had a problem with the 20-win seasons! Plus yes, it was fun and I and many others went to games and had a great time. Plus, he brought along his high-major son who was thrill to watch, along with his other great recruits. Granted, the last recruiting class was pretty empty, but if that's all we have to gripe about I'll take Baron all over again anytime! With the current coach I don't even bother going anymore. Sad state of affairs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Terrible Loss -- Pathetic, Tue, January 07 2020, 5:19:49

Just look at the direction of UB basketball once Reggie was shown the door . He is in semi retirement mode , he has neither the skill nor the drive to move the program forward . An energetic coach is desperately needed to inject some live into this comatose program .

Even though Niagara is losing , Greg Paulus has given their supporters cause for optimism . Unlike Reggie , Paulus is enthusiastic and gets the very most out of a flawed roster . Most importantly he is optimistic and driven to upgrade their program . Meanwhile low energy Reggie is real comfortable in his lazy boy recliner .

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Terrible Loss -- Griff Man, Tue, January 07 2020, 15:56:31

i totally agree. Reggie shows no emotion whatsoever on the sidelines. He used to roll up his sleeves and take his suit coat off.Now he just sits passively as the total mess on the court is there for all to sit through.The players show little emotion and the gym is like a morgue.If things don't change,I am out after this year.Totally embarassing.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.