VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, January 19 2020, 11:19:06
Author: CKC
Subject: 3 Wins in a row!

Griffs, starting to shoot the ball better. 23 assists, only 13 turnovers and shot the ball at 61%.

Rider has the most explosive offense in the MAAC.

Nice weekend for the Griffs, need to get that win at Iona & Fairfield.

Go Griffs!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: 3 Wins in a row! -- BBD, Sun, January 19 2020, 16:41:48

The guys are starting to come together. Good team win. Keep it going next weekend. Beat Iona! Go Griffs!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Students -- GoldenGriff32, Mon, January 20 2020, 3:57:49

Great weekend for the Griffs. Every player contributed on Sunday. Now about the students, they suck. Their is always a reason why they don't go to the games. Not 1 student in the old 3 Block section on Sunday. Has there been 50 students at any game this year except for Bona? You people should be ashamed of yourselves for not supporting your team.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Students -- Hmm, Mon, January 20 2020, 8:36:30

If the griffs win both games this coming weekend. That would be 5 MAAC wins in a row. If that doesn't bring out the students on January 31st vs Quinnipiac, not sure what will. Other than telling them they will be on live ESPNU or something, just a little fib :). The students might find that they enjoy the games and being part of it is fun. Have to get them there first. Beat Iona! Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Students -- Example..., Mon, January 20 2020, 10:04:24

First of all, there were hundreds of students at Sunday's game, but they weren't sitting in the student section, because they didn't have to.

Now to the main topic, and I swear to God, this has been a conversation for almost twenty years:

There are a few main reasons - cost, time, and locality.

1. Canisius is expensive. Students work off-campus, study, go home on weekends, live off-campus, etc. It's not easy to give up that time to prepare for games or attend.

2. Canisius students are typically local. Because of this, many students do not have an affinity for the school. It was a safety school for them or a school they like academically, but they weren't raised to love Canisius.

3. Because they're local, they haven't been a part of GREAT student sections. Yes, there are great high school programs in WNY, but they pale in comparison to the venues, traditions, noise, intimidation of the best high schools in the nation. In Ohio, Pennsylvania, parts of Michigan, Florida, Texas, California, etc., it's not crazy to see 4,000 people at a high school athletic event. That's very rare here.

4. When a student goes to the game, who teaches them to cheer? Seriously, think about it. The team doesn't cheer vocally. The cheerleaders only cheer during their performances. The band only cheers during their designated times (half of them were on their phones most of the game yesterday). The Dance Griffs take their cues from the cheerleaders. The student-athletes rarely cheer for their peers. The older people attending games definitely don't cheer. So where are they going to pick this all up? Who has demonstrated that it's not normal to go to a game and not cheer?

If you hate that students don't go to games, or don't cheer, etc. DONATE! Seriously, there is a budget line for school spirit. Donate to it. Talk to John and Bill, Dennis Misko, etc. and offer a challenge grant. Complaining about it here, where MAYBE one or two students might see it, does absolutely nothing.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Students -- Wrong, Mon, January 20 2020, 12:05:25

Teaches them to cheer? What in holy hell are you talking about.

Donating will bring kids out? Ok Boomer

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Students -- CanMan, Mon, January 20 2020, 17:50:49

My kids went to A10 and Big East schools part of their orientation week freshman year was training on how to cheer at basketball games. My wife and I also sat through a mini session with other parents as we were intoduced to their traditions.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Students -- Example..., Tue, January 21 2020, 10:07:17

Let's put it this way, Wrong. If I was a freshman and went to my first basketball game, how would I know what to say, when, or why? Seriously.

The team doesn't chant "de-fense" on the bench. The older fans don't do that stuff. The cheerleaders don't. The pep band doesn't (although the failure horn is a nice touch).

I would look at my phone, maybe clap or go "ya" here or there, because that's what EVERYONE else seems to do.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Students -- BfloGriff, Mon, January 20 2020, 15:12:28

"The older people attending games definitely don't cheer".Us Golden Oldies Plus remember how it was "back in the day" on Saturday Night at the Aud and for a while after the Griffs started to play at KAC. Most of us were "typically local", many of us worked to help our parents pay the tuition, we were parts of a great students' section because we had one and we knew how to cheer when we arrived as freshmen. We still know to cheer but something has changed. As Canisius has become a dorms school to a much greater degree, as cheer "leading" has become so scripted and just performance oriented, as the student section has been relegated to an end zone rather than court side, and more, the great Canisius Tradition has faded well away. By the way, how many students know the words to the Alma Mater or the fight song? So, we don't cheer much because no one else is so much either. Is there anyone is student leadership who gives a rats a** about this? If there is why don't you get going and organize to get us back on track. I bet some Golden Oldies would be ready to help out and teach you something about cheering. Start now. You shouldn't wait for the some-day new events center, because by then you may be a Golden Oldie (Plus,even).

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Students -- GoldenGriff32, Tue, January 21 2020, 3:49:37

Going to be off the board for a couple of weeks, I am going to Cheering school. Going to start with the basics, how to clap your hands.If you are a real Griff fan you should sponsor a student. These poor kids were never taught the proper way how to cheer. Hopefully they can be taught. Imagine a world where it's packed and loud at the KAC and the Harbor Center.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Students -- Good..., Wed, January 22 2020, 4:12:31

I look forward to seeing more fans in either venue standing, cheering, and not just complaining, reading, or staring at their phones.

As a hint, when the band plays "Let's Go Blue," we actually say "Let's Go Griffs."

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Students -- Example thanks for providing your point of view., Mon, January 20 2020, 13:36:07

We appreciate it and you're right schools which have great student body know how to cheer and make noise, we're not one of those schools. It doesn't mean that we can't become one of those schools. I agree the cheerleaders & band could do a better job but who is helping them?

The school needs to recognize that we need help in this area. I wish we had less kids who lived locally, a few years back the school was moving in that direction. Having more kids from outside of WNY and from other states promotes diversity of thought and makes the school far more appealing.

We should steal a page from Canisius High School they do a terrific job promoting school spirit.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.