VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Fri, February 07 2020, 16:33:24
Author: PFM
Subject: Re: Another Great Coach GONE
In reply to: NN 's message, "Re: Another Great Coach GONE" on Fri, February 07 2020, 15:16:48

Not sure any of you guys read my earlier post....better yet go back and read my post of March 15, 2019....what I want is to move up the food chain not down....I thought CC stood for Canisius College not Community College....I didn't know that we were content to be a "feeder" school....leadership, leadership, leadership....

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> Re: Another Great Coach GONE -- Agree, the school needs to step up their game, Sat, February 08 2020, 14:12:35

The school unfortunately isn’t thinking objectively. They’ think that things will be okay. I love WNY but the narrow mindedness and lack of seeing the big picture is now taken hold with the institution. The leadership needs to aspire for something greater. Take a page out of Bona, Siena or other institutions we respect. Don’t compare yourself to Daemen, Buff State or Medaille. The school has a great brand and the challenge has always been to take it to the next level outside of WNY. Sports can help you do this but you need to make a commitment. I would love to see us get out of the MAAC and the Atlantic Hockey Conference.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Another Great Coach GONE -- Griffs69, Sat, February 08 2020, 19:17:16

Let's not compare ourselves to Bona, that school has one moderately successful program. The Griffs usually beat them in everything outside of men's hoops...

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Another Great Coach GONE -- How you move up the food chain..., Mon, February 10 2020, 15:42:49

By having coaches who win and replacing them with another round of coaches who win. If you hire another great coach to follow the first, it all builds upon itself because there's a culture, expectation, and increasing resources.

It worked for VCU, it worked for UB, it worked for Xavier, Dayton, Bucknell, Siena, not long ago at Canisius (in fact, look at baseball from McRae to now Mazurek), Wichita State. It's the most proven way to create sustainable success.

Again, losing coaches to a higher level is a GOOD thing. It demonstrates that your program is viable internally and externally, which in turn improves recruiting and resources.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Another Great Coach GONE -- PFM, Tue, February 11 2020, 2:28:32

Did we get a seven figure buyout when she left? I doubt it! I would have sold Old Main to keep John Patrick Beilein the last 25 years then we might look more like Gonzaga basketball rather than a team that most announcer have trouble pronouncing the name of.

Who cares if other AD's know CC, as you describe it, for our "COACH DEVELOPMENT". CC's success comes when high school kids pick CC to attend because they want a great education and to participate in/or watch winning sports.

The excitement and crowds comes when you consistently win against the best....I don't know enough about volleyball to know if she would have gotten us there or not, but the program track she and others mentioned in this thread were on sure looked better before they left than after.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Another Great Coach GONE -- We need to step up our game., Tue, February 11 2020, 19:10:26

Bona's tuition is $6,000 more that us (34 vs. 28). Some how they have figured out a way to foster a winning basketball program and keep their doors open.

Why can't we do the same?

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2018/11/04/slideshow-the-highest-paid-employee-of-each.html

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Another Great Coach GONE -- You don't get it..., Tue, February 11 2020, 21:35:30

There's always going to be bigger schools with bigger budgets, newer facilities, etc.

It's not just about other AD's. It's proving to coaches and recruits that you can win here.

It's a total straw man argument to say 7 figures. An influx of 6 figures makes a difference.

Where we agree is that we both want Canisius to win, and win big. The key is hiring ANOTHER great coach to build on what Lenika did. If you do that, it accelerates the program even more.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Another Great Coach GONE -- PFM, Sun, February 16 2020, 9:40:56

Yaaa....that worked really well for WLAX!!!!!

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.