VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Fri, February 14 2020, 17:44:43
Author: Griff
Subject: At the End of my Rope

I know I have hinted before but this is as bad as it has gotten for me.

I went to my first Griffs game at the Aud when I was 7. Numerous games following. Began as a student in 1986 and graduated in 1990. Missed maybe a handful of games during that time. I'm 51 now and have had season tickets and donated to the program for the last 30 years. Am a past president of the now defunct Cage Club. Have run a version of this board for nearly 25 years.

I decided not to make the 90+ minute one way drive to the game tonight. I have honestly, lost interest. Part of it may be age but the greatest part is my inability to continue to watch this anymore. And then I watched this collapse on television. I just sent Bill Maher a more descriptive email.

We are now looking at 24 years since the last appearance in NCAA Tournament - which was a 29 point drubbing.

I usually want to stay positive and give coaches the benefit of the doubt. I have said very little on this board. Tonight I lost it.

This current retread coach is awful. I have never once been contacted by him, met him (although I played against him when he coached Sweet Home and I played at Jamestown), etc. The players past and present have quit on him. His attempt to "send a message" by sitting on the bench for an entire game, obviously doesn't work. The tirade tonight down 10 with a minute left was nothing short of embarrassing.

I took two friends to the Quinnipiac game a few weeks ago and they were literally laughing at the crowd, the facility, the coaching, the product on the floor, etc. One turned to me and said, "this is really Division 1?". Again, embarrassing.

I'm at the point where - against my nature - I will become a fair weather fan as many in my section have become. Win and I'll be there. Keep this shit up and I'll save my money.

It's not going to happen with this guy. The heavy hitters better ante up and buy out his last year and find someone who can actually get it done. After this year, I'm done.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Joe, Fri, February 14 2020, 18:26:38

Griff, let’s take a trip down memory lane. I’m a little older than you are having graduated in 72’.. Remember Mike MacDonald? He coached at Canisius for 9 seasons. He had 1 winning season with the Griffs. His teams won 108 games. Unfortunately they lost 153. That’s a .414 batting average, which is Hall of Fame in baseball. How about Tom Parrotta? He coached at Canisius for 6 seasons. His teams won 64 games. Nice. They lost 121. You are bitching about a coach who is currently 63-61 at Canisius. You are just now realizing the pathetic hopelessness of the Canisius basketball program? You have wasted more than money. You have wasted time!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Griff, Sat, February 15 2020, 11:35:18

It's different. Mike and Tom reached out to the fan base, were personable, would discuss why they made certain decisions, etc. Mike was one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, Tom had charisma and flair. To a point, you could "tolerate" the losing. With Reggie, no one sees or knows any of these things. All we see him do is look disinterested, make mind boggling decisions, and then throw a tantrum. It's very different.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Joe, Sat, February 15 2020, 14:28:10

Mike and Tom are nice guys, but they made no progress at Canisius. MacDonald is doing a great job at Daemen. Not sure what Parrotta did after he left Canisius. My beef is with the contention that Witherspoon is embarrassing the Canisius brand. What exactly is the historical Canisius pedigree in men’s basketball? Aside from Beilein and teams prior to the mid 1960s, it’s dismal. Barron was good, although he had no notable post season success. In my opinion, Witherspoon is a better coach than many of the coaches who preceded him at Canisius. In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a Niagara student as another poster speculated, but I was a St Bona fan back when I attended Canisius. I’ve been a UB season ticket holder for the past 9 years. Reggie will probably get the boot sooner or later. Just don’t expect the next guy to convert a perennial disappointment into a contender.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: At the End of my Rope -- 1180, Fri, February 14 2020, 20:25:24

I’m with you, Griff. Pulled myself to the game tonight after missing many this year from lack of interest. Truly embarrassed by Reggie tonight. Not a good look for the school - another composure collapse topped with temper tantrums and throwing gum on the court. You know it’s bad when best buddy King Rice had to grab his arm and tell him to settle down. Put that energy into actually coaching these kids.

Out coached. Out classed.

Bill - ship it in. There is nothing about this program that is better than it was when he took over. Drove away players, drove away students, drove away alums. This program needs a fresh start. The sooner the better.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Cager, you’re in the minority, Sat, February 15 2020, 19:52:42

Wake up, things won’t get better.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: At the End of my Rope -- We hear you., Sat, February 15 2020, 0:32:38

Griff, all of us feel this way. Planning on having a conversation with those die hearts to see what we could take forward. You’re correct it’s bad and it’s killing the Canisius brand. We may never have the facilities that Quinny has; that school has been built on credit but we need to make an effort to step up our commitment. Winning certainly helps, we should have gone through a hiring process, we’re now paying for it dearly. We appreciate all that you do for the program. I remember the Beilein days and the loss to Utah in the tourney, might have been closer if Barley has played. Don’t blame your feelings in age it’s more that you care and you’re not getting anything in return but pain & suffering. We’re wired to get away from situations like this for our own protection & safety. Hang in there & thank you.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Cager, Sat, February 15 2020, 9:48:03

Griff! Don't give up. We're going through a poor year, it hurts, and all of the loyalist most likely feel the same as you. As you know, I'm not in favor of a coaching change. What we need is better recruiting on the part of the present staff. Last night, the kids gave it their best shot, but the other guys were better players, and better players win games. Presently, the Griffs are not a talented bunch, and that's why we're in last place. Could the recruiting budget be part of the problem. I just hate bringing in somebody new, because you know they are going to tell you what you want to hear, and if you land a loser we're stuck for another four years. We're only a player or two away, give Reggie a chance, and Go Griffs

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Are you kidding???, Sat, February 15 2020, 13:50:05

The last place team in the fourth worst conference in the NCAA is only a player or two away?? Away from what exactly???

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Hmm, Sun, February 16 2020, 7:27:34

Some just type what ever comes to mind I guess. Where did you get the 4th worst conference crap? As of today the MAAC is tied for 21st with American east at .464. So that's 10 conferences worse then the MAAC and 1 tied with. Conferences that are worse then the MAAC this year are. Horizon, Big West, Atlantic Sun, North East, WAC, Big South, Ohio Valley, Southland, SWAC, and MEAC. That is also the order they trail the MAAC in rankings. Know the facts a bit before just throwing out B.S.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Hmm, Sun, February 16 2020, 13:12:23

Off a bit don't you think, 4th worst?? Actually 21st which is 12th worst if that's how you want to look at it. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Hmm, Sat, February 22 2020, 14:23:40

The MAAC is currently 20th in conference rankings at .467. The Patriot is sitting in 19th at .473. It is possible to move up to 19th this year in conference rankings. Most likely will finish 20th - 22nd. A big improvement over last year when the MAAC was the 29th ranked conference with a .448 ranking, when the season ended. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Wake up, it will only get worse! -- If we’re serious about the program, Sat, February 15 2020, 19:28:17

We can’t continue this way.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: At the End of my Rope -- CNY GRIFF, Sat, February 15 2020, 3:40:13

Griff,
Would you mind sharing what you wrote to Bill Mahar?
I think most of us are frustrated like you. I told my brother if they extend Reggie’s contract I will not renew season tickets. Like you, I have been a season ticket holder for many years and make the 5 hour round trip to see games. Just isn’t fun to watch anymore.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Griffine, Sat, February 15 2020, 5:12:45

I Share your feelings. I have enjoyed supporting the Griffs as a student and ever since I graduated in 1971. Even through the losing seasons under Nick through Perrotta, there was always a sense that our players were playing their best and challenging all their opponents. Under Mike and Baron, our players all got better over time and reached their potentials.

This season our kids have regressed except perhaps Yacco and Malik who is so frustrated he tries to do too much. Reggie does not recruit kids who can consistently hit shots. He favors athletes with questionable skills, low motors and weak b-ball IQs. Pure shooters are not in the mix, witness Rautins and Foley. So we get torched by teams with 3 pt shooters while we fire up bricks and hit less than 30% at best. And, we keep launching them and ignoring our bigs in the lane.

Reggie just cannot recruit or develop his players and has surrounded himself with lackluster assistants who would never challenge him. It’s a sad, deteriorating situation that need immediate attention or we will lose the few fans we rely upon to cheer at games. I too am fast losing interest and certainly will not travel to the MAAC tournament for the first time in many years. Canisius students and alums deserve better.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: At the End of my Rope -- Franklin, Tue, February 18 2020, 8:24:13

Took four days to get the stink of the Monmouth game away to the point I even wanted to check in on this board. Friday was embarrassing. A bush league intentional time-out when you know you're out of TO's & will get a technical for it? So you can pout like a baby and prolong one of the worst 2nd halves in the KAC in recent memory?

I too have been supporting the Griffs since the Aud and early 70's, graduated in the 80's, always look forward to the season and for years have felt lucky because as a Buffalo sports fan, my rooting didn't end with the Bills & Sabres (and Braves), I had the Griffs too! (Bills/Griffs tied for my emotions....Sabres a really, really, really distant third).

I go to every game I can, despite the coaching staff and the dead air inside the KAC. I assume I'll be back next season, but my enthusiasm level today is in the same place it was under Parrotta his last few years (can't believe some love was thrown his way above)....it's a chore to go to these games.

And I won't elaborate on the lack of offensive rhythm & flow, or boxing out, or defensive court awareness to put hands up against shooters, or simply slide over to stop the ball on drives to the hoop, or the lack of student/fan support, etc... At this point, why bother? I don't believe Hurley or Maher listen.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.