VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Thu, February 27 2020, 16:01:28
Author: Griff
Subject: Freshmen

I have little doubt that if Jacco and Harried stick around, both will end up being consistently good players but currently, they are killing this team and should not be in the starting lineup.

Jacco has been a shadow of what we saw early (as a for instance) in the Bonaventure game - since his concussion. Harried can't make a shot to save his life. And not even close with misses. Bad.

The problem is - and I guess this is quite obvious to everyone but the coaching staff - is that by playing these guys for the first 5-8 minutes rather than Brandon and Hitchon, you get down 8-9 points right off the bat. And then you spend the whole night expending so much energy trying to get back into it, that you have nothing left. I just don't get it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Freshmen -- Griffine, Thu, February 27 2020, 16:30:07

You are right. Jacob seems to have lost confidence and is no longer a factor. Harried is. Hedy player but needs to retool his shot as he misses badly from outside. Overall, except for ome trek from Majesty and Henderson, we are a BAD shooting team.

Reggie’s preference for athletes who can’t shoot is killing us. We need some pure shooters to complement our bigs and penetrators, but he ran off Foley and did not give Rautins a chance. Instead we have guys who shoot 20 percent threes and can’t make layups.

If you watch us in pregame warmups, it looks like we miss far mor uncontested shot than we make. No chance to win as a result

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Freshmen -- Griffer, Thu, February 27 2020, 17:34:17

What a terrible way to waste an evening. Pathetic in every way.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Freshmen -- Gary E., Fri, February 28 2020, 10:00:03

Plus the weather was brutal. There's a lot that goes into supporting the Griffs. Sometimes it's tempting to stay home.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Freshmen -- CBF, Fri, February 28 2020, 8:25:42

I totally agree with both of you. Need to start Majesty and Hitchon and have Harried and Fritz off the bench. How does a freshman that's 24.7% shooting from 3, take 97 - 3's already this year. Harried has taken 40 more 3's than Hitchon, only made 5 more than Hitchon. So that's 12.5% on the 40 extra shots. Can't win like that, won't win like that. Guys have to pass the ball and not be all me, me, me, or they are finished. Hitchon is standing there wide open and the pass never comes. Malik is another that should look to pass instead of shooting as many 3's as he does. Malik has taken 114 - 3's and only made 29 slightly better than Harried at 25.4%. So Malik has made 10 more 3's than Hitchon, taking 55 more attempts, so that's 18.1% on those extra shots. If the coaches don't see this and figure a way to get Henderson, Hitchon and Brandon taking the most 3's. The griffs will lose the last 3 games and be out first game in the tournament. Good grief it's not rocket science. Play the best players the most. If they get in foul trouble or are tired take them out, rest them get them back in. Why not go back to what was winning games last year. Start Hitchon and White. Or start Hitchon and Brown with white first off the bench. Let the freshmen be freshmen and play a more limited role. As Jacco himself said in his Buffalo news interview. "I'm still a freshman, so I won't say I have a big role in doing stuff. I just try to cheer everybody up when we get down, or give energy all the time and be enthusiastic the whole game." I'm not knocking Jacco he's a great kid with a great future. But why is Reggie trying to force it to happen over night.
The problem with Jacco's quote is that he is a starter and plays almost 30 minutes a game. So it's kind of a confusing thing to say, that he doesn't have a big role in doing stuff? He has more of a role than any other big. How many freshmen get the opportunity that Jacco has been given, not many ever. He plays way more than any of the bigs. Hope the coaches change a few things, or things won't change.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Freshmen -- Cager, Fri, February 28 2020, 6:32:16

Totally agree, the starting lineup usually is on the floor for the first five minutes of each game, and at that point the team is consistently down by several points. Hard to understand when your top scorer is not in the starting lineup. Yeah, Jaco, and Armon as freshmen got quite a lesson from Iona seniors Crawford, and Agee. Both of our young guys are poor shooters and contribute little to the scoring column. Down the road both have some potential, but right now they look like non swimmers in the deep end of the pool.It's all about recruiting. Let's hope RW can bring in some good players. Go Griffs!!!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Freshmen -- OLD GRIFF FAN, Fri, February 28 2020, 13:14:27

Griff,I would start Henderson,Brandon,Fritz Hitchon and White Try crashing the boards and hope to get something from the outside.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.