VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, March 08 2020, 12:42:16
Author: CNY GRIFF
Subject: Thoughts

There are three areas of coaching I’d like to address.
1). Recruiting- I actually think we’ve recruited well for the most part. Henderson, Fritz, Brandon and Harried could be very good players. Didn’t get to see enough of Ahmed to assess.
2). Player development- This is an area that is sorely lacking. Guys like Hitchon, White, St. Louis and Hadzic have not progressed in their development. So, who on this coaching staff is responsible for coaching the bigs? That person needs to be replaced.
3). Offense - I just don’t get the outside “weave” that we employ. Yes, occasionally we get a back door cut or alley oop, but more often we just waste time and throw up an ill-advised shot. Whoever is responsible for our offensive sets needs to step up or be replaced.
Reggie has one year left on his contract. As far as I know he has not been extended. If we are to have any success next year, these three areas need to be addressed.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Thoughts -- Go_Griffs, Mon, March 09 2020, 11:33:36

Agree with all of your points - the recruiting has been good but I'd like to see better offense and tactics on the court. One more class and some positive development may help.

That said, Canisius lost about 8 games by 5 points or less this year - if just half went our way we are looking at a 16-15 record which is not great, but not bad either. They were not lucky.

I think the real root of the problem is money and marketing. This team has a very disengaged fan base (winning helps) but the school needs to invest more in building an identity and community around athletics. The school needs to invest more in the program if it is to be their athletic identity.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Thoughts -- Griffine, Mon, March 09 2020, 15:53:14

The coaches are woefully disengaged with the college’s loyal fan who, in turn, are losing faith in the program. Send an email to our Coates recommending they look at an under the radar player and you get no response whatsoever.
Reggie and his weak assistants are on cruise control, lacing the passion and skills to both recruit and develop players. For all his shortcomings, Mike MacDonald, ,s players improved over their careers. Reggie,,s do not. Somethihing is amiss

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thoughts -- This is all true and ..., Mon, March 09 2020, 14:50:59

You need a coaching staff that makes an effort to connect with fans, alums and students. We haven't had this and it doesn't help. Our coaches need to step up their engagement when it comes to all 3 of these areas. The Coaches Circle has given them the staff lots of additional money to off set costs. The coaches should make an effort to build some relationships with those folks to give $ or their time and travel to see the team. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thoughts -- yogi, Mon, March 09 2020, 16:53:08

The hockey team had a very poor season , and have already been eliminated in the playoffs in consecutive games. The women’s team was dead last in the MAAC, and already eliminated. The men’s team was almost dead last, and will likely get eliminated by Iona tomorrow night. We are a 10th seed in a weak MAAC year! Let’s face it. Griff’s athletics are in free fall. Are you listening Bill Maher? There are serious problems that need to be addressed. We have become doormats in the MAAC! That is reality. Not pessimism.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Thoughts -- Let’s not forget, Tue, March 10 2020, 2:59:13

Dave Smith was on the verge of breaking through and when someone doubles your salary they need to go. Had Dave stayed one or two years more we would be in better shape. Women’s Basketball was in a terrible state and this is only his second year. It takes awhile to get the stink off a program. Men’s Basketball is headed the same way if we fail to do something. One year left is one year too many.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Thoughts -- Griffinkid, Tue, March 10 2020, 3:31:46

The women's team hasn't been eliminated yet. They play at 130 on Tuesday

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thoughts -- BfloGriff, Tue, March 10 2020, 5:32:34

I agree 110+% on the lack of coaching staff-fans-students contact. There is no energy there at all anymore and the powers that be at CC don't seem to care or maybe they don't get it or maybe they are absorbed by larger issues.Mr.and Ms. BG will be attending an open house with their niece in April. It will be interesting to experience the vibes (or lack thereof) there. I'll also be looking for how (or if) CC sports are part of the event.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Thoughts -- Zardoz, Tue, March 10 2020, 7:24:18

There is some talent on the team...but, if you are going to play a 3-guard offense you need to be able to knock down 3 pointers with consistency. That is something that this year's team just cannot do. I hope that they can recruit some shooters.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.