VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Wed, August 12 2020, 6:44:01
Author: Go_Griffs
Subject: Re: Griffs Football
In reply to: Gary 's message, "Griffs Football" on Wed, August 12 2020, 1:46:17

Yeah, would've been cool to keep it going, especially if they fell into some good seasons - but no chance it would've survived this pandemic unless the program was dominant for years.

Our best course for success is to invest more in basketball and hope that hockey improves.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Glory Days, Wed, August 12 2020, 11:27:44

The glory days of Griffs football in the mid-80's led by Mike Panepinto, Glenn Taplin and Anthony Gullo.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- K.Griffy, Wed, August 12 2020, 12:33:23

Panepinto and Taplin I certainly remember. Mike later played for the Bills "strike team" in 1987. Taplin was a heck of an athlete - and probably could have been at least a walk-on hoops player at Canisius. And if memory serves, Glenn had an audition with the New York Football Giants after his playing days as a Griff. Gullo I don't recall.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Griff, Wed, August 12 2020, 12:41:53

Gullo was a D-Lineman from Jamestown.

I used to play pick up with Taplin at the KAC. In high school, I played against Keith Robinson (Notre Dame), Rob Ferguson/Lanier (Bonaventure) and Norm Echols from Sweet Home who was an absolute beast. Taplin was every bit of a D-1 player. I thought he played basketball at ECC before coming to Canisius to play football.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Gary, Wed, August 12 2020, 13:53:52

One of the CC football players (Mark?) was so big when he dislocated his shoulder I couldn't fit him in the police car to get him to Sisters Hospital. Had to call a shuttle bus. He went on to play for the NY Giants. Another tough guy #75 Defensive line Bill Maher.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Greg, Wed, August 12 2020, 17:09:42

I am a football alumni. Since they dropped the sport I have refused to give a penny to the College. My feelings will remain that way until the day I die.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Grammar Police, Wed, August 12 2020, 19:08:06

You are an "alumnus". Ugh. Pet peeve.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Greg, Thu, August 13 2020, 13:09:49

Spare me your BS! If you didn’t play football I don’t care what you think

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Grammar Police, Thu, August 13 2020, 18:53:51

It's BS to think that an apparent college graduate - a Canisius College graduate no less - knows the difference between alumni and alumnus? Because I didn't play football lol? Oh my goodness.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Glory Days, Wed, August 12 2020, 15:18:16

Panepinto was obviously too small and Taplin just a bit too slow. Gullo anchored the D-Line and had the best shot as a pro. He was dominant. In today's NFL he would have been the prototypical 1 technique.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Texas Griff, Wed, August 19 2020, 10:17:25

How much does football cost as a program?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- It was the most expensive sport, Wed, August 19 2020, 16:45:51

Hockey is second.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.