VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Fri, August 14 2020, 8:49:17
Author: Cager
Subject: Re: Griffs Football
In reply to: Linwood Larry 's message, "Re: Griffs Football" on Thu, August 13 2020, 12:02:37

Put the blame on the NCAA, that ruled that since Canisius played D1 basketball, all sports had to play at that level.The best football at CC was at the D3 level, and it was really good football. I remember going to games at Alfred, Rochester, Cortland, Brockport just to mention a few, and the games vs Buff State, and UB were something else. After the games at the Demske, we would all go to the Locker Room for a few beers, and watch Notre Dame on TV. Coach Tom Hersey, and Tucker Reddington put together some great teams. Too bad this happened, and Fr. Cooke had to cut the program, and take the heat.Great memories!!!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: Griffs Football -- D, Mon, August 17 2020, 4:01:03

Many thoughts on this.....

I played during the mid-late 80's with those guys mentioned, plus many more great ones. Doc, McCarthy, Flowers, O'Brien, Holohan, Salter, Leavell. Some great memories. Practice humor, Locker room shenanigans, road trips and post game parties. we still laugh A LOT when we get together.

It was very disappointing when they announced they were dropping football. We all asked, "if you needed more $, why not come to us?" We were and probably still are the largest group of alumni at Canisius. colleges do all sorts of fund raising for many different reasons. Cooke's decision was final. He didn't want to hear one word from us.

The decision for the league to DI NON SCHOLARSHIP was the big mistake. Canisius and only a couple of other teams wanted to offer some scholarship money. League said no. Big mistake as history has proven that those leagues all failed. (one remains - Pioneer). Going non scholarship meant that Canisius would still be recruiting for the same kids as UB and Buff St. UB just went DI-AA and Buff State was still DIII. Canisius was always seen and the expensive school in Buffalo. Canisius basically turned itself into a pay to play school.

Dillon was a hired PR man. All he cared about was hockey.

I'm still not happy about the decision. But, I still loved my time at Canisius. My closest friends that I keep in touch with are from 2001 Main Street. My niece was a successful student athlete and my son is a current successful student athlete. Hoping to have a lacrosse season.

Canisius in general and Canisius athletics is relatively unknown outside of Buffalo. Growing up and still living in Rochester... always had to say and still do say, " Canisius college in Buffalo" to anyone that asks where I went or my son goes. That to me is a big miss by all departments at Canisius. ESPECIALLY ATHLETICS. There used to be some billboards once in a while along 490 (Where leaders are made campaign). but haven't seen anything since. It's rather embarrassing to say the least that you have to add "in Buffalo" every time. There should be MULTIPLE athletes on every team with Rochester representation. There are great men's and women's HS hoops, lacrosse, baseball, hockey, softball, soccer. Every Canisius team should have a good percentage of Section V players on it. I seriously don't get it. With Section V kids on roster, I guarantee there will be more fans in the seats.
and maybe then, we won't have to say "Canisius in Buffalo"

Nobody has to say "LeMoyne in Syracuse"......

Peace

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- Well said, Tue, August 18 2020, 15:22:13

Dillon wasn’t a great fit from the beginning. You can’t change the past but we can influence the future. Bill Maher is a good AD and he is always willing to listen. Let’s hope the school can turn the corner and get on the right side of the ledger. As far as building the awareness in Rochester it’s been a miss for years. At the end of the day we need more kids from outside the 716, & WNY. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Griffs Football -- CNY Griff, Wed, August 19 2020, 6:39:45

In the late 90’s and early 2000‘s , the college used local, part-time admissions recruiters who were very good at connecting with local school counselors, students and families, and also involved local alums.
Can’t understand why they discontinued that.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.