VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Mon, September 28 2020, 10:23:52
Author: BfloGriff
Subject: First Impressions---

This is not about Hoops, but it is related and I need to get it off my chest. Maybe some others have related comments. Last Saturday BfloGriff (BG) and Ms.BG. accompanied their niece and her parents to a program for high school seniors who are applying to colleges. The program was not the customary "open house" due to Covid-19. This program was by appointment. I counted eight family groups in attendance at Montante. The one hour program with two presenters and power point backup was very good and provided a lot of useful information. Our student tour guide for the second hour was a senior year young lady who was very good, both as a guide and as the kind of person a Canisius Jesuit education can produce. Our niece (who sometimes can be reserved) carried on a steady conversation with her, which included her experiences at CC and her plans for the future in grad. school and either the Navy or the Coast Guard. From my eaves dropping I gathered her major had something to do with marine biology. The niece definitely has grad school, probably in a science or math based program, in her future. So our guide could not have been a better fit. We made our way to the Main St. front entrance to Old Main. The facility that the financial management students have at the top of the stairs, is dynamite for a first impression of the facilities (even after Montate). But,sadly, mostly downhill from there. I hadn't been out on the Quad side of Old Main, where we exited, and from that point on all I could think was: "did they fire the maintenance crew too"? I know there's a sprinkler system, but in couldn't have been on all summer- weeds, unkempt grass, dry looking,---. It appeared that no flowers had been planted this year. Then came the Chapel that the niece wanted to visit because her Aunt and Uncle were married there; it was locked. Then came Frisch Hall (the Freshman dorm) where there is a furnished but unoccupied room to be be shown at tours and open houses. To begin with Frisch looks likes it hasn't been well maintained since it was opened in ought'70 something. The "show room" looked no better. The dining hall in the Winter Center looked fine, but there was only a handful of students there. We wondered where the students were. The concrete vehicle ramp to the front of Winter looks like it should be condemned as a safety hazard. Even Science Hall was relatively dark and deserted and looking less than its best.The Library was not opened yet and we didn't make it to KAC. The niece has other schools on her list. But I think she'd be a great fit at Canisius. I also think I will understand if she chooses another school (one that is not down- at- the- heels). All this has relevancy to Hoops and all our teams- how can we expect our coaches to successfully recruit a student athlete who has another option?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: First Impressions--- -- BfloGriff (0ops), Mon, September 28 2020, 13:14:28

I somehow managed to drop a few lines about how nice the Quad had looked in May 2019 when I was last out there for the "Golden Oldies" Mass and breakfast.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: First Impressions--- -- The school needs to be freshened up., Mon, September 28 2020, 16:27:14

Look how Sahlen Field looked before the Blue Jays took it over. The school needs more curb appeal from sure. I hope she picks CC, great education and lifelong friendships. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: First Impressions--- -- Yep..., Tue, September 29 2020, 4:15:04

There was a reason Fr. Cooke walked the campus and noted every little thing that irked him. It wasn't because he was OCD. It's because he knew prospective students, their families, and donors might be doing the same.

President Hurley is trying so hard, but he needs a chief of staff to do the managing so he can do the serious fundraising and external relations.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: First Impressions--- -- BfloGriff, Wed, September 30 2020, 9:35:08

John Hurlet was, in essence, Father Cooke's Chief of Staff.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: First Impressions--- -- D, Tue, September 29 2020, 7:09:41

BfloGriff-
Not defending anything that you saw, but maybe just shedding some light on what you saw.
I work facilities mgt at a university. Budgets have been cut across the board. Many facilities workers were furloughed (temp layoff if union) for months. Some have just recently come back. We have been told NO Spending outside of sanitizing, disinfecting, and preventive maintenance on buildings. And yes, mowing the lawn and trimming was cut back as well. We literally spent the majority of our time this summer installing hand sanitizing stations at every location imaginable, touchless paper towel dispensers in every restroom (this also means we disconnected or removed the electric blowers). We installed brackets to hold disinfecting wipes in EVERY classroom. Supplied sanitation PPE in EVERY classroom. Projects that were approved and money already set aside were put on hold. Elevators, Windows, Roofing, Paving, etc, etc, were all put on hold.
As for not seeing students... Faculty, Staff and Students have all been ENCOURAGED to socially distance. As you can imagine, (if they are lucky enough to have in person classes) they will take every opportunity to NOT HAVE TO WEAR A MASK. Which means stay in their dorm rooms or apartments. Especially on a Saturday. We know the students are on campus. Just not as many of them and they are keeping to themselves much more than usual.

But, NO EXCUSE to not have the tour room ready. That's shame.

Anyways, I could go on. THIS YEAR IS UNLIKE ANY OTHER YEAR

Hope your daughter makes the best decision for herself where ever that may be. Go Griffs.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.