VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Tue, December 29 2020, 6:44:45
Author: CNY GRIFF
Subject: I’ll say it again

After Mike MacDonald was let go, the college significantly increased coaches salaries and the recruiting budget. IMO, had they done tt before they let Mike go, he would have had a very successful career as head coach at Canisius.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: I’ll say it again -- Go_Griffs_Go, Tue, December 29 2020, 13:08:26

Totally agree that the facilities scare off talent - and students.

New or massively upgraded facility
Better investment in staffing + recruiting
Better investment in marketing + fan/alumni engagement
Better investment in branding

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- Basketball needs to be part of the schools branding., Tue, December 29 2020, 17:41:53

Wake up, Bona & Siena figured this out years ago. We unfortunately haven’t done this and it shows. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- Griffine, Tue, December 29 2020, 17:46:15

For sure, teams with classy arenas have an advantage with most recruits. But we’ve seen St. Peter’s just sign a highly sought big despite its grade school gym. An impressive coach can do that. We can do better.but not with this hapless bunch of coaches

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: I’ll say it again -- Imagine a recruiting trip for a student-athlete..., Wed, December 30 2020, 3:20:16

-You drive into campus off the 33 or Main Street. It's urban, not picturesque but fine.
-You see a campus kind of empty.
-You see a lot of stressed out faculty and staff. They care but there is a clear uneasiness on campus.
-You see some AMAZING academic facilities like the new Science Hall, parts of Lyons, the Palisano workout facility, but the other buildings and tunnels are OK to below average.
-Dorms are above average.
-Apart from HarborCenter, the on-campus athletic facilities are below average and maybe comparable to VERY good high school team facilities, but the locker rooms are very nice. (http://hiddengyms.blogspot.com/2012/04/frankforts-blue-chip-coach.html?m=1) (https://www.maxpreps.com/news/p9YZMgDZmUGn4FtWWeFVuQ/10-high-school-basketball-gyms-to-see-before-you-die.htm)
-If you attend a game, there's not a lot of atmosphere (pre-Covid, of course).
-Because there is a shortage in facility availability and faculty want aggressive limits on their teaching loads, there are limited course options.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- Okay we here you..., Wed, December 30 2020, 10:21:52

The school hasn’t invested into an athletic infrastructure in the last 30 years. You don’t just snap your fingers and fix it. The biggest break we got was the affordable lease on the Harbor Center. It’s nice but it doesn’t help to build school spirit. You drive downtown, park the car, go the game and then go home. We should have built something on campus behind Mount St. Joe’s there is plenty of land. The location is close to the dorms and their will be a feel of a campus atmosphere. Big miss. The more you can get alums & students to connect the more of a following you’ll have. The University of Detroit, Dayton, Marquette are all inner city campuses. Put a good product on the hardwood & ice, build sports into the brand of your school and market your athletics. Marketing isn’t an ad in the Buffalo Snooze.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- Spot on!, Wed, December 30 2020, 16:50:32

I believe the school has a plan about the next step for athletics. Unfortunately COVID didn’t help.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- BfloGriff, Thu, December 31 2020, 4:15:31

If there is such a plan, it could brighten things if THE POWERS THAT BE spoke about it or any other plan for the future of the College.If there is a plan, how does it fit with the plan for finishing Science Hall(if one of those exists), for example. Right now it feels like Alma Mater is just sitting there growing moss while the school on the West Side and the one in the northern suburbs are leaving her in the dust. Happy New Year (we can hope).

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- Not sure why the school drags their feet., Thu, December 31 2020, 16:46:41

Now is the time vs. waiting & waiting & waiting.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- Seriously..., Fri, January 01 2021, 5:06:17

Just release/leak some renderings and vague fundraising plans.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: I’ll say it again -- Joe, Fri, January 01 2021, 6:53:07

Coach Tenure Record CT TA NC
Reggie Witherspoon 2016-Pres 66-65 1 0 0 49.63%
Jim Baron 2012-16 73-61 0 0 0 54.48%
Tom Parrotta 2006-12 64-121 0 0 0 34.59%
Mike MacDonald 1997-2006 108-153 0 0 0 41.38%
John Beilein 1992-97 89-62 1 1 0 58.94%
Marty Marbach 1987-92 49-94 0 0 0 34.27%
Nick Macarchuk 1977-87 149-128 1 0 0 53.79%
John McCarthy 1974-77 28-49 – 0 0 36.36%
John Morrison 1972-74 27-23 – 0 0 54.00%
Bob MacKinnon 1959-72 142-163 – 0 0 46.56%

Composite 795-919 3 1 0 46.38%

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- I’ll take a Bob, Nick, John or Jim, Fri, January 01 2021, 14:43:07

Any mix of the 4 as a coach. Patrick B. would be a nice choice. Come on Griffs, step up.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- Joe, Fri, January 01 2021, 21:37:07

MAAC Regular Season Championships:  2  (1994, 2018)
America East Regular Season Championships:  1  (1985)
MAAC Tournament Championships:  0
NCAA appearances in last 61 years: 1
NIT appearances in last 61 years: 4
CBI appearances: 1
CIT appearances: 4

The good old times.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: I’ll say it again -- In fairness..., Fri, January 01 2021, 18:05:04

I liked Jim Baron. He elevated the program, but it's easy to inflate his results.

Jim Baron left with TERRIBLE timing and went one game under .500 after Billy graduated. Furthermore, Baron's first year was with Billy Baron and Parrotta's recruits. Jim's third year was his most impressive, in my opinion.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: I’ll say it again -- BfloGriff, Fri, January 01 2021, 7:53:59

The Demske/Cooke method was "here's what were going to do", "here's how were going to fund it" and then they went ahead and did it.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.