VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sat, February 13 2021, 16:25:49
Author: Griffs123
Subject: Where is everyone?

I follow along here occasionally and don’t post much (ever).... but a lot of people on this message board has no problem coming on to complain about stuff when things aren’t going well.

Team comes back after a long layoff, comes back from down big yesterday and rolls today and this board is crickets after a sweep and was more active when the team was losing yesterday than after they won.... a lot of things at Canisius needs to improve, but at the top of the list is the support from fans. .

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Where is everyone? -- Favorite, Sun, February 14 2021, 6:53:52

It is embarrassing how miserable this fan base is. Face the facts-this is not the team that was winning the MAAC and going to the tournament under Beilein-almost 30 years removed from it. This team put up 50+ in the 2nd half after coming out ice cold after weeks of no games, then blow them out the next day. This is a D-1 program with no vision and no money being put in, and a team that was been closer to ranked 300 nationally than regionally known, let alone nationally. Great to get 2 wins this weekend, and pathetic fan base with the silence. 5 posts on an awful half, and 4 posts for a great comeback and dominant win the following day. Misery sure loves company...great weekend, Go Griffs!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- BBD, Sun, February 14 2021, 9:31:14

The MAAC is ranked higher this year than it has been for many years. Currently ranked 14th in the Country and has been holding there for quite a while. The current MAAC team rankings are according to Ken Pom. Siena 143, Monmouth 178, St.Peter's 185, Iona 215, Canisius 219, Niagara 236, Marist 274, Quinn 289, Manhattan 302, Rider 303, Fairfield 333. Griff's are currently ranked 5th in the MAAC. This team has been through a lot. With such a long lay off before playing any games. The guys couldn't practice due to quarantine or isolation. Hitchon coming back after being stabbed. This team has shown heart and determination to come back and play, and play hard. They are definitely worth supporting and should be supported. It is sad that more people come on to say negative comments after losing, then positive ones after winning. I hope the team is done with Covid and can play there remaining games. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- Joe, Mon, February 15 2021, 12:38:17

I just checked kenpom rankings. The MAAC is ranked 24th in conference rankings. It has 3 teams in the top 200. The rest are in the bottom half. By way of comparison the A-10 is ranked 8th with St Bona at 50th in team rank, and the MAC is 12th in conference with UB ranked 85th in team.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- BBD, Fri, February 19 2021, 11:52:55

I was getting the conference ranking/rating from NCAA College Basketball RPI. That's where I went wrong. The RPI has been replaced by NET. The MAAC is 14th using the old system, RPI. I thought the MAAC seemed a bit high. Hard to rate teams with very few non conference games also.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- GME, Sun, February 14 2021, 10:53:15

The global pandemic has affected every sport in America- in a negative way. I'd be surprised if any sport keeps all their fans after this. Things will never be the same.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- Cager, Sun, February 14 2021, 17:26:53

Got to agree that the pandemic has really done a number on the basketball season. I couldn't believe it when I noticed in the News that the Griffs after some 40 days were scheduled to play a couple of games at Quinnipiac. After a really poor start, the Griffs came on, and started looking pretty good. It was really great to finally watch some games. Let's hope the games this coming weekend at Fairfield will be played as scheduled. Had to be impressed with the play in that second game. Go Griffs!!!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- GoldenGriff32, Mon, February 15 2021, 2:31:53

Griff fans are like certain Bills fans, they love being negative. If they win the other team stunk, or it wasn't pretty enough. It's 4 wins in a row. A sweep after not playing for 41 days, pretty damn good.Go Griffs. The MAAC seeding teams on total wins and not percentage is ridiculous though.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- It's an unfortunate mindset., Tue, February 16 2021, 9:25:30

It permeates WNY and as a result the community thinks too small and is afraid of change.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- BfloGriff, Tue, February 16 2021, 13:57:18

Buffalo is exploding with optimism these days. With good reason. My issue is that CC is not keeping up. We once were a leader!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Where is everyone? -- Agree CC has had this thinking for too long, Wed, February 17 2021, 14:53:17

The school & athletics can do MUCH better. GO GRIFFS!

[ Edit | View ]

[> We’re here -- TW, Sun, February 14 2021, 14:48:14

We will take the win. These kids have played with heart. COVID has F’ed up lots of things. One thing I do wish is that they make men’s basketball our signature sport. If Siena & Bona can do it why not us? I can hear the negative thoughts already. Let’’a be honest we haven’t done that since the 70’s. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: We’re here -- D, Mon, February 15 2021, 3:08:55

it's not our signature sport?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: We’re here -- BfloGriff, Mon, February 15 2021, 6:23:02

Yes, we are here and Basketball is our "signature sport", at least for those of us who remember when we were nationally ranked. We also remember when probably the finest player ever to come out of the City of Buffalo, wanted to come only to Canisius, but was turned down by, as I recall, the single Jesuit who was in charge of admissions at the time. We also remember where he played his college ball, pre-NBA and Basketball HOF. I assume most of those who follow the Griffs here know the player I'm referring to. Since then, it seems to me it's been mostly down hill for our "signature sport". Covid has, for sure, not helped things, but, IMO, CC was stagnating before Covid, and the vaccine which BfloGriff is getting today ( Mrs.BG,yesterday),and the eventual end of Covid is not going to change that. Have you noticed the recent TV ads by Niagara, Bona and D'Youville? Bryant&Stratton, for pete's sake, is advertising on buses. The competition locally for students is fierce. Canisius just seems to be marking time and scrambling around trying to figure out where we go next. Does anyone here know what's going on behind the scenes? If so, let Griff know so it can at least be posted here. St. Peter Canisius---. Oh,and Let's Go Griffs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: We’re here -- TG, Mon, February 15 2021, 6:30:23

It should be.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Where is everyone? -- It will come..., Sun, February 14 2021, 15:36:17

Keep winning and people will start noticing.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.