VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Wed, March 24 2021, 8:40:51
Author: Go_Griffs_Go
Subject: Athletic Department Changes I'd like to see

I've posted similar things before, but it's a good conversation starter.

As an alum, here are changes I'd like to see:

1. A LARGE commitment to branding, marketing and student, alumni and Buffalo community engagement. Get other school departments involved. Athletics apathy is real. If they school can build the right fan base, we can still grow when the teams are not as competitive. Work NOW to create a culture that embraces team support and the game day experience. Grow the name outside of Buffalo. Other jesuit schools have done this well.

2. Athletics rebrand - refine the logo and script to make it more appealing. I think something more classic and vintage collegiate looking would work best, along with the script font.

3. Invest in social media. This is how you recruit better athletes and get students interested. Graphics and branding and marketing practiced need to look better than A-10 schools. Market men and women's basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer, lacrosse and volleyball - with the biggest emphasis on basketball and hockey.

4. New fieldhouse for basketball and volleyball. This is a given. Get it up to date with current standards.

5. Invest more in basketball resources and staffing. It's the only way this program will improve. Better recruiting and facilities.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Athletic Department Changes I'd like to see -- These are great suggestions, Wed, March 24 2021, 14:37:27

You should send them to the AD & President. Why not? You have nothing to lose.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Athletic Department Changes I'd like to see -- Counterpoint, they need money and they need fundraisers..., Thu, March 25 2021, 5:15:21

What they need is this role: https://gojaspers.com/staff-directory/whitney-swab/181 if not a team of fundraisers.

1. They would love to invest more in marketing, but there's not money to do so. They're putting as much as they can into marketing, but they have to pay for Covid tests, equipment, travel, salaries, scholarships/aid, etc., and the MAAC isn't flush with TV or NCAA postseason money. There's not enough there to make a dent in Buffalo (until they hire more fundraisers).

2. Agreed, it's easier to update the wordmarks and they're very late 90s-early 2000s. The Griffin logo itself is fine, but the wordmarks could be improved. I'd also drop the Block C logo and update the Old English C to be a bit more stylized.

3. What does invest in social media mean? They're on social. They post content almost every day to almost every channel. The Instagram pages for the teams are amazing: lots about the student and recruiting experiences. There are videos, infographs, etc. I'm not sure how much more they can do other than more social listening, but I doubt many people on the Voy board are tweeting about Canisius or posting tik toks.

4. Fieldhouse - yes, everyone wants it. I think they could reasonably sell the naming rights to help cover some costs, but they need at $20-25,000,000 to do anything impactful. They need money (fundraisers).

5. Again, everyone wants a better staff with more resources, but none of that can be done without money. They need a fundraiser, if not, a fundraising staff.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Athletic Department Changes I'd like to see -- BfloGriff, Thu, March 25 2021, 7:26:41

I think what is (or is not) happening at CC right now is best characterized as:the whole place is in a state of pause,marking time, at best, until 2022. That is when the $50M Development Campaign being mentioned in recent buzz is apparently scheduled to kick off. Let's hope that happens and that $50M is enough to accomplish everything necessary to get Alma Matter fully competitive again in the Buffalo market and well beyond, to attract a 4-5 K member student body (at least), on a newly attractive campus with a fully staffed, well qualified faculty and a D-1 athletics program that is adequately funded for as presently established, and then for the long term development as should be part of the plan.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Athletic Department Changes I'd like to see -- BfloGriff, Fri, March 26 2021, 5:19:37

I agree with Greg on his last point. In BfloGriff speak that state of affairs has been referred to on this board as "stagnation". The role (or absence there of) of THE POWERS THAT BE sure is disappointing, to say the least. But I don't think the A.D. is fairly included as a P.T.B.. He has to function within the budget they provide to him. 2022 will, no doubt, be a make or break year for Alma Mater. Let's hope the P.T.B. are up to the challenge. It won't be getting any smaller in meantime.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Athletic Department Changes I'd like to see -- Greg, Thu, March 25 2021, 8:05:21

The current leadership at the College is awful to say the least. It starts with the president and includes the AD. They have no insightful, forward thinking. This school has been going downhill for the last 10 years and it’s sad!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Athletic Department Changes I'd like to see -- Buffalo Super Fan, Fri, March 26 2021, 11:15:28

I agree with everything said Canisius needs forward thinking leadership. This isn’t just a money thing the last ten years the times have changed even some of the MAAC conference membership has changed and I admit I wish Canisius had facilities what some of the new MAAC members have. Does it guarantee winning the MAAC no but at least Canisius would look today’s Division 1.

The outdated Canisius logos there is zero excuses for just lack of vision by the school leaders. Colleges are supposed to be forwarded thinking for a better tomorrow’s society. Canisius is supposed to be where leaders are made. My joke has been where leaders are made yes but not with the schools decision making leadership I think Canisius needs a forward thing school President then new athletics director, coach, etc Canisius needs to clean no ones contract at Canisius should be automatically renewed Canisius needs to move on from President Hurley he failed badly with athletics.

Last point I watched Canisius Niagara soccer on ESPN+ Yesterday the battle of the bridge. The Griffs soccer uniforms are awful little league sports has better uniform. Pathetic Canisius on the back of a white t-shirt you can barely see Canisius and pain white t-shirt with a number. Canisius puts that little thought for Canisius student athletes that alone should get President Hurley fired there is zero excuse for that. My goodness my high school players had names on the back of our uniforms and names on our jackets I the 1980’s this is 2021 Canisius wake up. That is just disgraceful no wonder Canisius has trouble with recruiting sorry that stuff matters in my opinion. Go Griffs! Let’s Go Buffalo

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.